New bike needed - upright ladies hybrid / step-over/ sit-up-and-beg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lutrinae

Lutrinae

Regular
Upright as in short wheelbase ? my idea of upright is "sit up and beg"
Sorry I'm a newbie and not really au fait with the terminology. It doesn't look like I'd be sitting up as I do on my Dawes. The seat and handlebars look level.

Hicky

Guru
I’ve just picked up a Raleigh Pioneer 2 for the Ms. Even though it’s no longer the brand it once was or seemed to be, it is fantastic. The finishing touches are all there. 3x8 gears and a comfy saddle. It’s fairly light for what it is. She absolutely loves it, as a reference her other bike is a carbon Cannondale Synapse 105....she prefers the Raleigh :rolleyes:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I live in a town which is hilly but so far my Dawes Diploma (2010) 3 speed has served me fine on all but the steepest of hills. However I’d love to find something with a slightly higher spec, a few more gears and maybe a bit more lightweight.

any recommendations?

Personally, I'd count the number of teeth on the rear sprocket, then buy a replacement sprocket with one more tooth than you currently have. A common gearing set up on 3 speeds is a 46 tooth front ring combined with an 18 tooth sprocket. It works fine on the flat without headwinds, but it's hard going at times. You wouldn't think a change from 18T to 19T would even be noticeable, but it is, and it's well worth investing a fiver in.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Are they any good?
I have not ridden any of them, but have seen lots of women riding them.

https://totalwomenscycling.com/commuting/urban-bikes/pendleton-bikes-buyers-guide-review-tips

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Hello Lutrinae I can't help with a new bike but if you get that sorted I may be interested in buying your old one for Mrs T . So depending on price and where you are if you are interested PM me with some details.
Ta.

OP
OP
Lutrinae

Lutrinae

Regular
Hello Lutrinae I can't help with a new bike but if you get that sorted I may be interested in buying your old one for Mrs T . So depending on price and where you are if you are interested PM me with some details.
Ta.
Ok, I'll have a think as I will be selling eventually, though no idea on price just now

OP
OP
Lutrinae

Lutrinae

Regular
I'm willing to wait for the right bike. I'm now torn between the Kona Coco Sunset Orange and the Genesis Columbia RD, but I don't know enough about the spec to practically compare them. I also can't find a weight for the Kona. Argh! Decisions...

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I'm willing to wait for the right bike. I'm now torn between the Kona Coco Sunset Orange and the Genesis Columbia RD, but I don't know enough about the spec to practically compare them. I also can't find a weight for the Kona. Argh! Decisions...

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kona-Coco-black-holland-bicycle/dp/B071WN99RZ#:~:text=The%20Kona%20Coco%20is%20a%20wonderfully%20simple%20and%20light%20weight,Velo%20%2C%20headset%3A%20FSA%20No

A previous year's model, but substantially similar quotes 12.39kg. HTH :smile:

Top Bottom