New bike opinions please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
So thats an example of useless advice to the OP, because its a personal distaste and not factual informative help about choosing the particular bike he asked about.
Precisely. He doesn’t like any bikes designed in the last 30 years that cost more than £30 and didn't come from a skip or barn :laugh:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
He thinks they’re ugly :laugh:

They are ugly, and not just those tumour-shaped brifters referred to by @vickster either. The brake disc itself is an eyesore. Worse than those big aluminium dork discs you used to see on rear derailleur wheels 40 years ago, but on both wheels not just one.
Then you've got the weight penalty, and the OP specifically mentions bike weight. Finally you've got the resultant fork design resulting from the use of discs; thicker, heavier, and uglier, and having a negative effect on ride quality through being overbuilt to take the braking loads at a greater distance from the headset bearings. I don't think I've seen a disc braked fork that could be described as aesthetically pleasing yet, they all look like they've been fashioned from the leg of someone's kitchen table!

They are ugly, and not just those tumour-shaped brifters referred to by @vickster either. The brake disc itself is an eyesore. Worse than those big aluminium dork discs you used to see on rear derailleur wheels 40 years ago, but on both wheels not just one.
Then you've got the weight penalty, and the OP specifically mentions bike weight. Finally you've got the resultant fork design resulting from the use of discs; thicker, heavier, and uglier, and having a negative effect on ride quality through being overbuilt to take the braking loads at a greater distance from the headset bearings. I don't think I've seen a disc braked fork that could be described as aesthetically pleasing yet, they all look like they've been fashioned from the leg of someone's kitchen table!

Which is your personal taste, nothing more. For the weight of disc brakes and all this talk of weight you go on about the OP could just eat less and take a crap before riding to compensate the few pounds extra

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Thanks, what really got my attention with the Triban 520 other than the great VFM, was the claims for a 'comfort', endurance type riding position and a high bar stem, features that I think will possibly suit me as I'm not overly flexible ad doubt if I'll enjoy mile after mile leaning too far down and forward in an aggressive riding position.
At over 10kg it may be heavy compared to some more sporty focussed road bikes but as a beginner would I really notice or care and to me, would it still seem light compared to other bikes such as my CB Cape Wrath, which I think is over 14kg?
It's unlikely I'll change the tyres myself either, unless I get a puncture of course!😢:blink::bicycle:
I've got a Triban RC520 and had to get a new wheelset because it was impossible to get a tyre on and off the existing wheelset. Its fine now after a lot of messing about. So after a new wheelset and tyres it came in at over a grand. If I had know what I do now I wouldn't have bought the bike.
Personally I'd look towards something else where theres no known issues with tyre changing.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks, all that tyre changing problem sounds awful and...well...WHY? Why would any sane manufacturer design something or over look something like that into their new and otherwise excellent bike?
Makes no sense.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Having said that of course, I'd still be getting tyres changed at a LBS so not my problem.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
By the way, I'm not emotionally attached to the idea of the Triban, it just seems a good bike for the money although I would have to wait for a used one at the right money.
Of course any other ideas for a comfortable, relaxed geometry road bike would be greatly appreciated?
Hi, You wont get a cheap one at the moment they are going for nearly as much as a new one on Ebay/Facebook marketplace etc. I wouldnt bank on there been a lot of cheap bikes available soon either to be honest.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks, all that tyre changing problem sounds awful and...well...WHY? Why would any sane manufacturer design something or over look something like that into their new and otherwise excellent bike?
Makes no sense.
It seems the issue might be having clinchers on tubeless ready wheels. Whether they are any better if you go tubeless..?

vickster

Legendary Member
Having said that of course, I'd still be getting tyres changed at a LBS so not my problem.
Why? Don’t you replace your own punctured tubes? Disability?
What happens if you get a puncture away from home?

Kingfisher101

Über Member
It will be your problem if you need to change a tyre because you have a puncture miles away from anywhere!. Also a lot of local bike shops have a wait at the moment still, they tend to be putting regular customers first as well.

It will be your problem if you need to change a tyre because you have a puncture miles away from anywhere!. Also a lot of local bike shops have a wait at the moment still, they tend to be putting regular customers first as well.

putting regulars first could turn away potential new customers and when this is all over and back to normal they may find they need those new customers

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Ah yes, of course punctures would be a problem I suppose.
No, no disability.
Would a puncture repair kit not get me home though?

vickster

Legendary Member
Ah yes, of course punctures would be a problem I suppose.
No, no disability.
Would a puncture repair kit not get me home though?
You still have to get the tyre off and the tube out to patch it, it’s not a miracle cure...not all punctures have a repairable cause either and if the weather is foul, you’d want to sort it quickly with a new tube

@Sloth, cycling without an occasional puncture is like flying without wings - not something that happens very often. If you're hoing to cycle regularly, you *have* to learn to do this one thing, else face some potentially very long walks home...
It's not difficult with a spare tube and good levers.

Top Bottom