New bike opinions please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

Hi, I'm looking at dusting off my 18" CB Cape Wrath (7005 frame) to use over winter to see how I 'take to it' but will be looking for a new road or perhaps endurance bike come the new year.

I think I'd prefer something with a more 'relaxed' ergonomics but would still like something fast-ish and not heavy.
Something fairly sleek but not anything too expensive, at least not until I know I'm really into this.

I have seen reviews on the Triban RC520 disc, they seem to be generally good reviews but some state it is heavy?
What is 'heavy' in this game and what is an acceptable weight for a non-serious (yet) newby to start with?
I'll never break any records and I#'m sure that any bike will out-perform me for the foreseeable future if not always.

I don't want to spend more than around £500 ish on my first bike but am totally OK with second hand.

Any ideas?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm sure the RC520 is a fine bike and certainly good value for money. I did have a look at one in my local Decathlon and it did seem a bit weighty, rather heavier than my thirteen year old Trek SL, but that shouldn't bother you too much. I've read on reports of problems fitting or refitting tyres, maybe someone else can comment.
Tribans can't be beat for VfM but appear a little dull but generally get good press on here.
Over to you Mr Sloth.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you use the search function, there are several posts on the RC520 wheels and difficulties with tyres (and people who’ve changed the wheels as a result at a not insignificant cost). Also read the reviews on decathlon Mentioning the same (in a range of languages so you may need to fire up Google translate)

Disc brakes will add weight to a lower end roadbike as the wheels especially are heavy. If not fussed, a rim braked bike will be lighter. You should be looking at sub 10kg with rim brakes and maybe 12kg with. You’ll get better bang for buck with a used bike with rim brakes as they’ve been around so much longer and there’ll be more for sale.
if it’s not a wet weather bike, you don’t need disc brakes with decent rim callipers and pads.
look at something like a Giant Defy/Contend for a more relaxed geometry, something that’ll take 28mm tyres will be more comfortable than riding 23s or 25s

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks so far guys.
Regarding the Giant Contend, there are various versions it seems 1,2,3 and I think 4. Is there any particular version I should favour or that is more ergonomically 'relaxed' so to speak?

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks so far guys.
Regarding the Giant Contend, there are various versions it seems 1,2,3 and I think 4. Is there any particular version I should favour or that is more ergonomically 'relaxed' so to speak?
The frames are all the same geometry wise (the lowest models may not have a carbon fork iirc), it depends on the spec. A lower number = higher groupset on the Shimano ladder (higher usually lighter, smoother, more gears, but more costly to replace broken or worn out bits)
The Contend replaced the Defy a few years ago

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You need to check the geometry but I'd guess the frame remains the same throughout and the more expensive it gets the better the groupset/ kit.
Nowadays even the least expensive in the hierarchy will give good performance so don't get too hung up on that. You'll pay a premium for the Giant name of course.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks, what really got my attention with the Triban 520 other than the great VFM, was the claims for a 'comfort', endurance type riding position and a high bar stem, features that I think will possibly suit me as I'm not overly flexible ad doubt if I'll enjoy mile after mile leaning too far down and forward in an aggressive riding position.
At over 10kg it may be heavy compared to some more sporty focussed road bikes but as a beginner would I really notice or care and to me, would it still seem light compared to other bikes such as my CB Cape Wrath, which I think is over 14kg?
It's unlikely I'll change the tyres myself either, unless I get a puncture of course!😢:blink::bicycle:

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks, what really got my attention with the Triban 520 other than the great VFM, was the claims for a 'comfort', endurance type riding position and a high bar stem, features that I think will possibly suit me as I'm not overly flexible ad doubt if I'll enjoy mile after mile leaning too far down and forward in an aggressive riding position.
At over 10kg it may be heavy compared to some more sporty focussed road bikes but as a beginner would I really notice or care and to me, would it still seem light compared to other bikes such as my CB Cape Wrath, which I think is over 14kg?
It's unlikely I'll change the tyres myself either, unless I get a puncture of course!😢:blink::bicycle:
Well indeed, you will inevitably at some point even (and you won’t want Marathlon a plus tyres on a leisure speedy bike)

I find the styling and colouring of Decathlon bikes super dull in the main and would pay a premium for a more aesthetically pleasing bike!
The RC520 is £750 new so well over your stated budget? Unlikely to get a deal on a used one either in these Covid times, at least not as low as £500. There‘s no new stock and it’s been very patchy for the last 8 months

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Well, I'm kind of hoping that by the time I'm looking at buying a bike, likely early new year and perhaps even spring, there will be a lot of choice due to A/ the shortage being over and B/ lots of used bargains from the 'one ride wonders' that are buying all the bikes at present! :okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

By the way, I'm not emotionally attached to the idea of the Triban, it just seems a good bike for the money although I would have to wait for a used one at the right money.
Of course any other ideas for a comfortable, relaxed geometry road bike would be greatly appreciated?

vickster

Legendary Member
One of the Ribble sportive models, a Dolan L’Etape, a Specialized Secteur or Roubaix, most brands have a more relaxed model or two in their range

My Genesis Equilibriums are pretty comfy, even more so as they’re steel!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
(and you won’t want Marathlon a plus tyres on a leisure speedy bike)

Why wouldn't you?, they roll easily enough. Marathons are not draggy tyres even though they are heavier than average. I use them on one of my drop bar bikes and they're great. It means I don't need to worry about fixing punctures on a regular basis.
i would give that Triban a miss for two reasons, one the wheels causing problems changing tyres and the other having disc brakes.

vickster

Legendary Member
I personally hated marathon plus tyres, I certainly wouldn’t put on one of my 10kg road bikes used for recreation or even utility rides! I barely ever get punctures on any tyre either
ymmv

Why wouldn't you?, they roll easily enough. Marathons are not draggy tyres even though they are heavier than average. I use them on one of my drop bar bikes and they're great. It means I don't need to worry about fixing punctures on a regular basis.
i would give that Triban a miss for two reasons, one the wheels causing problems changing tyres and the other having disc brakes.

why give it a miss based on disc brakes

Top Bottom