New bike opinions please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
@Sloth, cycling without an occasional puncture is like flying without wings - not something that happens very often. If you're hoing to cycle regularly, you *have* to learn to do this one thing, else face some potentially very long walks home...
It's not difficult with a spare tube and good levers.
Except on the RC520 wheels it seems :cuppa:

Except on the RC520 wheels it seems :cuppa:
Yup, they do have a rep for being tight...

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
I suggest the second hand route. By way of a reference point I picked up a 8.6kg 105/Ultegra bike a few years ago for just over £300. Its not one of the more fashionable makes but im not concerned with brand image. Prices are still a bit strong in the used market but nowhere near like they were back in early summer when people were paying well over the odds.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Hmmm, yes second hand is almost a foregone as I see it.
If necessary I'm prepared to dig in for the long game and am confident that my bloody mindedness will remain long after the silly prices/bike shortage has passed.

The tyre changing thing on the 520 does bother me somewhat so perhaps I'll give that one a miss as I'm sure that swapping the wheels over is no cheap excercise!

vickster

Legendary Member
Hmmm, yes second hand is almost a foregone as I see it.
If necessary I'm prepared to dig in for the long game and am confident that my bloody mindedness will remain long after the silly prices/bike shortage has passed.

The tyre changing thing on the 520 does bother me somewhat so perhaps I'll give that one a miss as I'm sure that swapping the wheels over is no cheap excercise!
Couple of hundred probably.
You may need to wait until next winter for used prices to drop as they likely won’t do so this winter, and they rise in spring (especially if there are still shortages of new)

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Yeah, I suspect you may be right about that.
I think I'll put some new tyres, handle bar extensions and perhaps a better saddle on my 18" CB Cape Wrath MTB and see how it goes for a while before investing further.
Unless an absolute bargain comes my way of course!

By the way, my MTB has a 7005 frame, is that good, bad or irrelevant?

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah, I suspect you may be right about that.
I think I'll put some new tyres, handle bar extensions and perhaps a better saddle on my 18" CB Cape Wrath MTB and see how it goes for a while before investing further.
Unless an absolute bargain comes my way of course!

By the way, my MTB has a 7005 frame, is that good, bad or irrelevant?
Fairly standard aluminium I think

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

OK, so no better or worse than 6061 for example?
Is it heavier or lighter than 6061, or is there noting in it?
I don't mean to over think it but I'm just curious why they make different grades if there are no advantages of one over the other?

vickster

Legendary Member
Presumably there is some difference? Google it?
I don’t really dig aluminium bikes so don’t pay much attention to be fair!
Most of the weight of a bike isn’t actually the frame, so a few hundred grams in it won’t make much difference

Another option may be to get the Triban and then look out for some second hand wheels from someone who has upgraded?

I looked recently into selling the original Giant wheel set that came with my Defy Advanced Pro 3 following an upgrade, and they're worth nothing!
Just a thought?

vickster

Legendary Member
Another option may be to get the Triban and then look out for some second hand wheels from someone who has upgraded?

I looked recently into selling the original Giant wheel set that came with my Defy Advanced Pro 3 following an upgrade, and they're worth nothing!
Just a thought?
Decent disc thru axle wheels will command more of a premium though

Indeed...not too long ago a CCer broke his thumb trying to change a tube! :ohmy:
:ohmy: They must have changed the spec from the 500. Touch wood I've only had a couple of unscheduled deflations on my Triban and two scheduled deflations (one to fit a new spoke and one to change the front tyre). Even with my numb weak fingers in the middle of my chemo the 500 tyres/wheel combo didn't seem extra hard.

Top Bottom