New bike purchased... advice required (esp wheels)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kernow_T

Über Member
Hi all -
sadly the bike build for my own bike resulted in a bit that was a touch stretched out for me (the one I've built for Mrs R - Inc with a cpl components from this site is perfect) so I've gone 'off the peg' and purchased a Tifosi CK3 Giro 1.1 105 5800 (also gladly and strangely came with Ultegra shifters)!
Haven't ridden it yet as ensuring set up is sound and have swapped stock brakeset for 5800.
Big issue is the wheels - Weinmann Flier SL. Taken them out the box and whilst brand new clearly they're nowhere near true esp front - eBay seller will return £15 to true. Is this normal with cheap, 'assembled' stock wheels and should my pal and I (he has sound bike building skills but is by no means a wheelbuilder) true them up and stick them on for the winter - reviews suggest actually the stock wheels are OK and not too heavy. Also should I immediately change the chainset to 5800 from FSA?
TY

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
New wheels sometimes settle and go a little out of true. If they aren't much out then I would do it yourself if you have a spoke key. Plenty of guides on YouTube if you don't feel comfortable doing it I would have thought your lbs will true them for the cost of a couple of drinks. Re the chainset I would just use it, nothing wrong with FSA.

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
New wheels sometimes settle and go a little out of true. If they aren't much out then I would do it yourself if you have a spoke key. Plenty of guides on YouTube if you don't feel comfortable doing it I would have thought your lbs will true them for the cost of a couple of drinks. Re the chainset I would just use it, nothing wrong with FSA.
Many thanks - I must say the lbs in my local town do have a bit a rep for condemning bicycles/parts and for some directly/indirectly over-charging. They seem to really focus on the key clientele in terms of income - often middle aged+ gents who may spend 3-5k per annum in there at the expense (the key point) of meeting the needs of those with lesser means.

£15 per wheel for truing is dear is it not? There are a cpl of established competitors, one cheaper (at £10per wheel) and another who's more keen to squeeze you in, help you out (the kind who will whack it in the stand and have a quick look and an adjustment with no charge) - unsurprisingly he's getting more popular!

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
Some good tutorials/tips on here and my pal - more methodical than I and mechanically minded bike wise - so off to give it a try

winjim

Smash the cistern
Maybe I'm just fussy but if it's a new bike I would the place I bought it from to true the wheels for free. But then I also would have expected them to check that before they released the bike.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
You could always have a go yourself. I've often thought about it and I'm sure there are plenty of you tube tutorials out there but it always worries me that I may end up with a wheel resembling a pringle!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Many thanks - I must say the lbs in my local town do have a bit a rep for condemning bicycles/parts and for some directly/indirectly over-charging. They seem to really focus on the key clientele in terms of income - often middle aged+ gents who may spend 3-5k per annum in there at the expense (the key point) of meeting the needs of those with lesser means.

£15 per wheel for truing is dear is it not? There are a cpl of established competitors, one cheaper (at £10per wheel) and another who's more keen to squeeze you in, help you out (the kind who will whack it in the stand and have a quick look and an adjustment with no charge) - unsurprisingly he's getting more popular!

I've one local shop that charges from £15 per wheel - doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If it was just a quick twist of a couple of spokes I might be a bit miffed but if it was a 20 minute job I'd be happy with it.

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
I've one local shop that charges from £15 per wheel - doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If it was just a quick twist of a couple of spokes I might be a bit miffed but if it was a 20 minute job I'd be happy with it.
'True' indeed - just think people want to feel like they've been treated fairly and be confident to trust that a 5 mins true up may be a fiver where as a serious buckling requiring significantly more time will be 3/4 times that

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
Have trued the wheels and applied pressure every so often to stress and they are significantly better - as in within a mm rather than the 3+mm when received.
Now on the bike and bar-tape (and possibly a new seat post) and she's all done. Thanks all

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member

Attachments

• IMG_20171215_164102502.jpg
    IMG_20171215_164102502.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20171215_164127112.jpg
    IMG_20171215_164127112.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
Bike looks nice - that's a very young cyclist or mechanic you have there. :smile:
We occasionally use other nouns when describing his role . Amazing mind, that boy is obsessed with bikes - loves eating oil and spinning anything on a bearing. Maybe a cyclist - he's got his mum's long legs thankfully, rather than Dad's squat rugby player build!

Top Bottom