New bike, rattling internal cabling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2pies

Veteran
I went to pick up the bike I ordered from Evans on Saturday. Once they'd built it up (which was a bit of a saga) I took it out for a quick lap around the block. I immediately noticed a rattling sound and pointed it out to them when I returned. They said they couldn't hear anything but that was because there was music playing in the store. I got the mechanic who built it to come outside and he agreed he could hear it. He checked the presta valve bolt and tightened the water bottle, the obvious things, but it was still there. He then shrugged and said it must be the internally routed cables as it was less noticeable when a gear change was made, but then returned when the chain moved to the selected gear. I think he said Cannondale don't put tubing on the cables so it's to be expected. Not really having an answer for that, I left the shop as is.

I rode to work for the first time today and it's pretty annoying. Every bump I go over, which on London roads is every 10m, you can hear it.

Is this to be expected, or should I call Evans out on it and ask them to sort it out? Is there a low-cost solution to this that I could ask them to fit, to at least give them a small sale for what would probably a bit of work for them?

I realise that mid-range bikes (Synapse Alu Tiagra) come with a lot of stock items to keep the price down, but if every Cannondale bike sounded like this no one would buy them. I certainly didn't see anything mentioned about on a couple of the reviews I read about the bike.

It's a pity because otherwise, I'm really happy with the bike and the upgrades I bought for it (Fulcrum Racing 4s, Spec Ronin saddle, LizardSkin tape etc.....all bought and fitted with the bike by Evans)

Thanks for any input or advice.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I went to pick up the bike I ordered from Evans on Saturday. Once they'd built it up (which was a bit of a saga) I took it out for a quick lap around the block. I immediately noticed a rattling sound and pointed it out to them when I returned. They said they couldn't hear anything but that was because there was music playing in the store. I got the mechanic who built it to come outside and he agreed he could hear it. He checked the presta valve bolt and tightened the water bottle, the obvious things, but it was still there. He then shrugged and said it must be the internally routed cables as it was less noticeable when a gear change was made, but then returned when the chain moved to the selected gear. I think he said Cannondale don't put tubing on the cables so it's to be expected. Not really having an answer for that, I left the shop as is.

I rode to work for the first time today and it's pretty annoying. Every bump I go over, which on London roads is every 10m, you can hear it.

Is this to be expected, or should I call Evans out on it and ask them to sort it out? Is there a low-cost solution to this that I could ask them to fit, to at least give them a small sale for what would probably a bit of work for them?

I realise that mid-range bikes (Synapse Alu Tiagra) come with a lot of stock items to keep the price down, but if every Cannondale bike sounded like this no one would buy them. I certainly didn't see anything mentioned about on a couple of the reviews I read about the bike.

It's a pity because otherwise, I'm really happy with the bike and the upgrades I bought for it (Fulcrum Racing 4s, Spec Ronin saddle, LizardSkin tape etc.....all bought and fitted with the bike by Evans)

Thanks for any input or advice.

AFAIK different manufacturers use different systems to kill internal cable rattles.

I have a Trek Domane ALR Disc and both gear cables are on the outside and the hydraulic rear is on the inside - the routing goes into the topside of the downtube at the front and exits on the downside of the downtube at the rear. The hose is therefore suspended in space within the downtube. It is also a very tight fit into the entry and exit points. Ergo zero rattling.

I researched and checked my shortlist of bikes for cable rattles online and instore as tbh that would drive me nuts and was surprised at the number of bikes that had rattle issues.

I'm not an expert on this subject but I did see lots of neat fixes when I was researching as mentioned above.

Take the bike back to Evans and tell them you are rejecting it they can't fix the rattle - I think they still have the 30 day return option. This may well focus them to get it sorted. Tip - contact Evans customer service online (before you go into the store) and clarify with them that you can reject it; this will add more weight when you go into the store ie you have spoken to their head office etc etc.

Good luck.

All the other options are valid, but you did ask for a cheap solution. If you/evans can access the inernal cable, tie some plastic cable ties around the loose cable, every 50mm or so. Tighten the ties but leave the tails on. Fit two or three side-by-side, allowing the tails to point in different directions. Now pull the cable back in. The cable ties create a tight buffer that suspends the cable in space. Obviously this only works if you have access or can pull the cable through a large aperture such as via the BB or such.

tom73

Guru
They have a legal duty to sort it you bought it off them hold your nerve and tell them you want it sorted.
Given that you've got them to upgrade it you've already helped them make a bit more from the sale.
It's the least they can do to sort it. Speck to someone higher up the food chain at the store and get on to customer service.
If you've given them a option to sort it and no joy you could reject it under the law but that at this point is the last option.
If you still get no joy speck to CAB for help as to how to get them to sit up and sort it.

Good luck

pawl

Legendary Member
Glad I don’t have internal cable routing .I can change my own cables without to much effort.The awkward part is having to take the bar tape off and replacing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's not really the shop's fault - it's the design ! Are the cables fully enclosed within the outer in the frame. Either way, you are going to have fun sorting it.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
It could easily be something other than cables rattling.
I was convinced that my Merida cables had started to rattle. Tried all sorts to cure it.
I eventually found the source of the rattle. I’d fitted new wheels, which could accommodate 11sp cassettes.
I had fitted my 10sp cassette and omitted to fit the required spacer. It sounded more like internal cables rattling than a loose cassette.
Of course this should not be the case with the OP’s bike, but demonstrates that we can be fooled into being convinced about something erroneously.

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
I actually spoke to someone on my commute this morning who was riding a similar model. She mentioned she'd experienced the same and stripped the wheels off the bike and found it was a loose spoke, so don't assume it is the cables.

I'll look tonight. I hope it can be resolved because the bike was a good price and perfect for me. Finding the same or even similar will be a pain, especially as I had bar-tape added to my order, new wheels, saddle etc.

Top Bottom