New bike, squeaky headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Binka

Über Member
Had a new Liv bike for 5 days and on day 3 the headset started squeaking like mad. Anytime I turn the handlebars slightly.

the shop I bought it from is nearly 2 hours away......would the local Giant shop be likely to sort it for me or I’d it something I can sort out easily myself? Is it a problem? I don’t mind the squeaking but I’m worried there’s something wrong with the bike.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Phone and ask them

si_c

Guru
It's really unlikely to be the headset itself causing a squeak - so it's likely to be something else - usually a trivial fix. Check around the bike and look to see if anything rubs against the frame.

I'm assuming that this is a disc braked bike, if so try removing the front wheel and then turning the bars again - if the noise goes away it's not the headset. Sometimes if a disc brake caliper is improperly aligned then it can cause a squeaking when rotating the handlebars as this causes the wheel and the disc rotor to ever so slightly rub against the pads. This will also cause the pads to glaze over and reduce braking performance so it's worth identifying and getting resolved.

stuarttunstall

I had a creak appear on my bike which sounded like the headset but it was down to the cables... they enter the frame tube through rubber grommets, a quick spray with WD40 or GT85 or the likes stops it.. drove me mad until I found what it was..

Top Bottom