New Bike tube explode after pumping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elf Bunny

Hi, I have just bought a bike a few days ago with 700c x 38 FV (Hybrid). My father pump it to about 40 psi (while it is recommended b/w 50-85 psi) and I took a ride. Then the next day, I tried to pump it to about 60 psi as I thought it would be alright and after a few minutes, the front tube exploded (nothing got into the tyre). So would you please tell me what the problem is? Should I stay below 40 psi or should I go to the recommended tyre pressure?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
what make are the tyres/tubes? ime new bikes often have cheap nasty tubes in them to keep the price of the bike down…

Ajax Bay

Guru
700c x 38 FV (Hybrid). . . it is recommended b/w 50-85 psi) and I took a ride. Then the next day, I tried to pump it to about 60 psi as I thought it would be alright and after a few minutes, . . the front tube exploded (nothing got into the tyre). So would you please tell me what the problem is? Should I stay below 40 psi or should I go to the recommended tyre pressure?
The 50-85psi marking is the recommended max and min, not the 'recommended' pressure and I'm surprised the minimimum is so high. For 38mm wide tyres, a good rule of thumb is that the front pressure should be half the (in kg) weight of the rider, in psi; eg: 100kg rider front 50psi and rear 15psi more.
Most likely reason the tube 'exploded' is because the bead of the tyre was not properly seated in the rim. Replace tube (of correct dimensions); refit the (38-622) tyre; go round checking it's seated properly (especially by the valve); pump a few times; check seating again; and then pump up to desired pressure. There is no merit in exceeding the pressures I've suggested: you will not go faster and the ride will be bumpier.

Attachments

• TyreInflationPressures.pdf
    201.6 KB · Views: 60
Top Bottom