New bike yesterday, Accident today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
K

KennyGray

Glad your okay, how awful on your new bike.looks like quite an impact. Hope you don't feel too sore in the next few days.

Thanks guys having a couple of beers and some chocolate to make me feel better:thumbsup:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Thanks Peter the girl genuinly didnt see me i dont know how im 6'4 wearing a bright yellow jacket. I dont really hold any malicious thoughts against her she did phone and apoligise today . Must have only been doing about 15mph but being 18 stone i guess that why the impact looks worse, Been cycling for 5 or 6 years to and from work but this was my first dable in trying to go further with a half decent road bike and my first real accident.
It wont put me off cycling thats for sure.

Ah yes, the well know invisibility cycle cloak, or hi viz to the rest of us. You can wear Hi Viz, but you can't make a driver see (unless you are Jesus)... :rolleyes:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yikes! That's a real bummer, on a new bike too.... Must have been a very nasty moment as you realised it was going to happen.

With a bit of luck, that's one woman who'll have learnt a very important lesson. It's unlikely that she didn't see you, rather that she didn't LOOK properly - with the possible excuse that the windscreen pillar got in the way - but that's not an excuse, because you shouldn't pull out without checking all your blindspots, by shifting head and body if necessary, and looking twice, three times, not just once. Hopefully, if she really is apologetic, she'll be careful in future. And the fact that you've totalled her windscreen on the way over helps - it's not something she can just polish out and forget.

I gather that the advice in this situation is to keep records (photos, if applicable) of your injuries and bruises, and any expenses you incur (travel etc). Stuff can flare up later (fingers crossed, it doesn't). And while it's good not to be vindictive, don't let the driver's contrition persuade you to settle for less than a fair settlement.

I hope you heal quickly. Keep eating the chocolate. ;)

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Wow that looks like some impact damage to the car, so glad to see you came out of that relatively unscathed (could have been far worse judging by the photo) I hope the injuries you sustained heal quickly :thumbsup:  

Best wishes kenny in sorting out the insurance and compensation

Wow that looks like some impact damage to the car, so glad to see you came out of that relatively unscathed (could have been far worse judging by the photo) I hope the injuries you sustained heal quickly :thumbsup:

Best wishes kenny in sorting out the insurance and compensation

It does indeed, I hoping that it was designed to fail like that and absorb the force of striking a bike :wacko:

Just to repeat things, Best Wishes Kenny

giantscr2.0

Kenny, Welcome to the Forum.
Such a shame your first post is to do with an accident. Hoping you have a speedy recovery mate.
I think today has been National SMIDSY Day!!
cursing.gif
mad.gif

bauldbairn

Sorry to be so late, just read this thread.

Geez that does look like some impact! :ohmy:

Wishing you a speedy recovery - as everyone else has already said. :thumbsup:

Oh aye and welcome to the forums by the way. :hello:

killiekosmos

Veteran
Sorry to read about your accident. You are handling it rather well considering the scale of the incident. I hope you recover quickly and get a new bike. Hopefully the driver has learned a major lesson too.

chewy

Woah! What a way to make a forum entrance!
I agree with all the above comments. No doubt the driver *just* didn't think or see you, but a new bike is the minimum you should expect B-).
I dont think she'll do it again soon though!
Oh......and welcome!

Top Bottom