New bike yesterday, Accident today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
post-13279-061551400%201283193591_thumb.jpg

Hi all just sharing my despair, got a new Spec Setuer sport yesterday my first road bike since i was a kid. Decided to go a run this morning, coming out of West Calder A71 i was carring along the main carrigiagway when a car stops at the give way to my left ahead. I look at the driver and think she has saw me as i approach she pulls straight out in front of me.
This results in me hitting the front wing and flying of the bike resulting in the damage to the car above by myself hitting it. Luckily i did not suffer any serious injury just impact to my shoulder a back along with a few cuts in various places.
Got to say im glad i had a helmet on as it was quite damaged when it was taken off.
The ambulance crew were great taking me to Wishaw General with the full bhoona, spine board collar the lot as a precaution.
Police got plenty of witnesses so getting the bike fixed shouldnt be a problem but gutted on my first decent run that i was enjoying ended this way.

Attachments

• Photo-0017.jpg
    Photo-0017.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 384

Peter10

Firstly I'm glad you are OK. Secondly... OUCH! that looks like some impact. What sort of speed would you say you were doing? My main concern has always been cars pulling out on me like that as most drivers don't consider a cyclist against a curb but think about the middle of the road to see what is coming. Touch wood, I've had no issues yet even on a few long rides this week.

I hope this doesn't turn into a "all drivers are evil" thread but I do hope she is prosecuted for driving without due care and attention.

I hope you get your bike back soon and it doesn't put you off cycling.

Eddie

Glad to hear you're safe! Take it easy and hope you feel better soon.

If I were in your position I would definitely be thinking about a personal injury claim!

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Glad to hear you feel OK, that looks like one hell of a hit.

Be wary of any niggling ingurys that show up over the next few days and make sure to report them.

Also, I dont know what condition your bike is in, but it looks more like a replacement than repair from the state of the car.

OP
OP
K

KennyGray

Firstly I'm glad you are OK. Secondly... OUCH! that looks like some impact. What sort of speed would you say you were doing? My main concern has always been cars pulling out on me like that as most drivers don't consider a cyclist against a curb but think about the middle of the road to see what is coming. Touch wood, I've had no issues yet even on a few long rides this week.

I hope this doesn't turn into a "all drivers are evil" thread but I do hope she is prosecuted for driving without due care and attention.

I hope you get your bike back soon and it doesn't put you off cycling.

Thanks Peter the girl genuinly didnt see me i dont know how im 6'4 wearing a bright yellow jacket. I dont really hold any malicious thoughts against her she did phone and apoligise today . Must have only been doing about 15mph but being 18 stone i guess that why the impact looks worse, Been cycling for 5 or 6 years to and from work but this was my first dable in trying to go further with a half decent road bike and my first real accident.
It wont put me off cycling thats for sure.

BinBag

I echo everything already said - glad you're ok.

You know, no matter how many precautions I take, it always feels like they're going to pull out on you. I try to look them directly in the eyes, but you can't guarantee that's going to work.

Hope you get your bike fixed PDQ and you're back on the road.

BB

OP
OP
K

KennyGray

Glad to hear you feel OK, that looks like one hell of a hit.

Be wary of any niggling ingurys that show up over the next few days and make sure to report them.

Also, I dont know what condition your bike is in, but it looks more like a replacement than repair from the state of the car.

Dont know the state of the bike its at the police station have to pick it up the next couple of days.
Contacted lawyers today that i have access to through my trade union and gave them the details.

Eddie

Dont know the state of the bike its at the police station have to pick it up the next couple of days.
Contacted lawyers today that i have access to thruogh my trade union and gave them the details.

If you get some compensation you could put it towards something slim, Italian and carbon. Every cloud...

Top Bottom