New Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darthpaul

I currently ride a hardtail 2009 Giant XTC 4.5 with thinner tyres on for my daily 5.25 mile commute. Having done that for 18 months and regularly being passed by road bikes I am looking to get myself a road bike so I can leave my XTC for weekend moutain biking in Wales.

I am seriously considering getting a Giant Defy 3 on the Cycle to Work scheme. Can anyone give me feedback on the bike or suggest better alternative. My commute is about 40% urban 60% country roads.

Something that can take full mudguards and a rack might be a better bet.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
That looks really nice, look at the Trek, Specialized, Cannondale and any other brands price equivalents and ride all the ones you think look nice, see which you like best.

Wouldnt get too hung up on buying a bike based on ability to take mudguards, you can get those super thin race mudguard things that fit most racing bikes.

Norm

I would have bought a Defy but for my local Giant stockists being numpties who, even though it was my third bike in 3 months (following a theft) wouldn't do a deal on the list price.

I went to another LBS and fell in love with the Specialized Secteur. The Secteur is not strictly equivalent to the Defy (the Allez is probably a closer match) but it's just the bike for me. And I got a deal on it. :biggrin:

nigelb

As it happens, I've moved off a racer on to a slower bike for commuting, as I found the vibration from the road surface very unpleasant, completely spoiling the ride.

Very personal thing I suppose, and also depends on your local road surfaces.

(Not talking potholes here, just maybe half of my ride is on bone-shaking tarmac)

Or it might just be that I'm old and soft ...

Nige

OP
OP
darthpaul

darthpaul

SKS Race Blades will do me on the odd occasion I need the guards. I get changed at work anyway so if i get caught out with unexpected water I will live :hyper:

Thanks for the advice though I will go sit on a few others to before I get the magic voucher

Top Bottom