New boiler time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You can't truly run a boiler in condensing mode if you have a hot water cylinder, or the hot water never gets hot enough.

The heat pump people have the sane problem, with hot water not even at legionella-killing temperature*. To get round it they fit a much bigger cylinder - given that you will be running baths and showers with very little cold in the mix, you need to ensure you have a LOT of tepid water.

*most heat pumps have a cycle to (less efficiently) heat the cylinder properly once a week to sterilise it

midlife

Guru
I don't know much about heat pump boilers but can you have say a *really* hot shower.

I know it's not good for you but I like a hot shower in the morning to get me going that's on the hottest setting. Just curious.

presta

Guru
The heat temp setting at the boiler has an eco point . I put that up the the other day to nearly max setting . Well…….. that cost me an extra £4 over the 24hr period for an hours less heating !!
The knob on my boilerstat has a detent which is supposed to mark the optimum point at 60C, which is where it stays, but it doesn't make any difference, because the control system algorithm turns the water temperature down to about 40 regardless after the initial warmup. Even if you turn the water up to 70 and/or the roomstat up to 35, the water temperature will rise at first, but then goes back down to 40-50 even though the roomstat isn't satisfied. They're programmed to save gas even if it means not heating the house adequately.

As I write this, the boiler is set to 60C and roomstat is set to 20C, but it's only reached 18.7C because the boiler has turned the water down to 48.5.

Gillstay

Über Member
You can't truly run a boiler in condensing mode if you have a hot water cylinder, or the hot water never gets hot enough.

The heat pump people have the sane problem, with hot water not even at legionella-killing temperature*. To get round it they fit a much bigger cylinder - given that you will be running baths and showers with very little cold in the mix, you need to ensure you have a LOT of tepid water.

*most heat pumps have a cycle to (less efficiently) heat the cylinder properly once a week to sterilise it

With a heat pump you can just fit a Mixergy tank and then its very easily and cheaply piping hot water.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
My heating is getting a work out just now ! The cold weather is evidently the reason. Decided to pump the £400 gov money back into my energy bill . OVO send me £66 every month , I’m just handing to back .

Anyway yesterday cost me £15 approx ex vat and standing charge ! Heating on for 8hrs and hot water obviously . Also had the log burner on ! The problems with large open plan house !

GuyBoden

Guru
Stainless steel heat exchanger, copper pipes, brass fittings not plastic, larger Grundfos pump.

When I looked for a boiler for my Dad's house a few years ago, I found out that Baxi and Main are the same boiler, but differing warranty lengths.

My new combi boiler (a Baxi) has been delivered, just waiting on the man to come fit it. I hope he's here soon as I have multiple layers on and still feel freezing!

Jameshow

Veteran
Stainless steel heat exchanger, copper pipes, brass fittings not plastic, larger Grundfos pump.

When I looked for a boiler for my Dad's house a few years ago, I found out that Baxi and Main are the same boiler, but differing warranty lengths.

What did you choose Guy? Baxi??

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've had various makes over the years, including two houses with very old Valient boilers still working fine, and in my previous flat, a valve had got limescaled up and the new part was cheap and easy and it carried on working. mY current house had two Baxi boilers fitted by previous owners only a few years before we moved in. Neither was that great and after one repair then another, we now have a brace of Vallients surprise suprise. Not had them long enough to confirm if they're as long-lived as the old ones, but they work very well, and are noticably quiet. On thing I don't like is you have to control them using an app on your phone - and whilst this works perfectly it just seems an extra complexity, but I dare say a simpler controler is possible. Vallient for me at any rate. And by the time you've paid someone to install the saving on a cheaper make is not that big a % saving arguably

si_c

Guru
He got here at 1530 and is still going. God bless him for getting it fitted so late in the day.

Was hoping to go for a beer tonight but think I am cancelling that but at least I should have heat again!

The chap who came to do ours earlier this year turned up at 8am and was here til 5pm, so you might be waiting a while. Will be worth waiting for a warm house though.

The chap who came to do ours earlier this year turned up at 8am and was here til 5pm, so you might be waiting a while. Will be worth waiting for a warm house though.

Yeah he mentioned the boiler being removed was a real crap one to do, he'd normally do over a full day not starting at 1530.

Boiler is on and he's finishing up now^_^

Top Bottom