New boiler time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
It lasted circa 30 years, the water tank was around 50 years old, I think we've had our moneys worth :becool:
20221028_153527.jpg

20221028_153451.jpg

Condensing boiler, apparently as efficient as almost any out there, loads better than a 30 year old one, however good it was in its day.
Powerflush (system was quite clean apparently but needed to be done for waranter purposes, and inhibitor added) new magnetic doodah filter fitted, all done while we were away for a few days, perfect for all, he could go off and do emergencies i suspect, no uneccessary rush to complete.
£3.3k, recommended independant local plumber. Seems OK to me, £2k almost in materials a powerflush alone is several hundred quid.
Circumstances may mean not going the airsource route may be a mistake...but that just wouldn't suit my need for hot water without significant extra cost (solar etc)
Looking forward to a bath tonight ^_^

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Had mine replaced in my house in the UK last year. £3500, so your price looks reasonable.

Reactions: gbb

si_c

Guru
We were quoted around that for replacing our boiler earlier this year. We ended up not going with the local plumber we use though as they couldn't get it done for a month or so and we were moving in in a week so no hot water was a non-starter for Mrs C.

Viessman seem to be very highly recommended, we went with an Ideal, possibly not as good, but it has a 10year warranty. We were thinking about an airsource, but with the other needed rennovations we couldn't afford it, especially as we'd have needed to replace all the radiators.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
We were quoted around that for replacing our boiler earlier this year. We ended up not going with the local plumber we use though as they couldn't get it done for a month or so and we were moving in in a week so no hot water was a non-starter for Mrs C.

Viessman seem to be very highly recommended, we went with an Ideal, possibly not as good, but it has a 10year warranty. We were thinking about an airsource, but with the other needed rennovations we couldn't afford it, especially as we'd have needed to replace all the radiators.

Veissman came with no negative comments from my son (gas engineer) so we went with that, also with 10 year warranty Beware, one colleague at work just complained to me the other week, her 2 or3 year old boiler (don't know whose) failed, manufacturers refused the warranty repair because it hadn't been serviced to their specification apparently ?..one to watch for. I know the installers section of the book had to Indicate a full flush with specific chemicals then inhibitor added plus all the usual stuff so if something doesn't meet requirements, you know they'll pick up on it.

si_c

Guru
Veissman came with no negative comments from my son (gas engineer) so we went with that, also with 10 year warranty Beware, one colleague at work just complained to me the other week, her 2 or3 year old boiler (don't know whose) failed, manufacturers refused the warranty repair because it hadn't been serviced to their specification apparently ?..one to watch for. I know the installers section of the book had to Indicate a full flush with specific chemicals then inhibitor added plus all the usual stuff so if something doesn't meet requirements, you know they'll pick up on it.

Yep, the plumbers we use are really good, I've got the service booked in for next year already. Not worth not servicing a gas appliance anyway.

Jameshow

Veteran
We had a woscster bosch then an ideal and now back to WB (different houses) all were good, WB quieter than ideal.

Ideal warranty didn't continue when we failed to get it serviced exactly on anniversary (had a baby iirc) so poor customer service for me.

Any think the ashp gov message has gone quiet since cop26 and now no one is going to cop27 it will be quietly dropped? Perhaps because of lack of electricity generation capacity?!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
£3.5 is a cracking price ! We paid £5k 3 yr ago for WB and new hot water tank ( unvented system). Ours was a very ancient hot water storage heater thing. Not very efficient. Also no room stat neither , all controlled off a summer/ winter heating setting and timer.

newts

Veteran
£3.5 is a cracking price ! We paid £5k 3 yr ago for WB and new hot water tank ( unvented system). Ours was a very ancient hot water storage heater thing. Not very efficient. Also no room stat neither , all controlled off a summer/ winter heating setting and timer.

Unvented cylinder would have added quite a bit to the price. Money well spent as you have plenty of hot water at mains pressure, no noisy pumps & your shower won't slow to a dribble when someone turns the kitchen tap on (combi boiler).

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Unvented cylinder would have added quite a bit to the price. Money well spent as you have plenty of hot water at mains pressure, no noisy pumps & your shower won't slow to a dribble when someone turns the kitchen tap on (combo boiler).

Probably explains it then and yes we have good water pressure since we moved here .

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member

Yes, tbf, our existing system is / was vented and HW pressure is lower (I didn't know the difference until this post tbf).
We went for the same, minimise cost etc, but it comes at a cost, lower HW pressure, but its what we're used to so nay bother.
His normal rate would have been in the range of £5k but because my son trained him years ago, they kept in touch and he did us a 'mates rates'..I'm not actually sure if we pressed him too far, he came in at 3,8k, we grumbled a bit and he lowered it to 3.3k . I'm sure he wouldn't do it at a loss tbf :laugh:
Cash job, done and dusted, I'm sure everyone's happy.

Some might wonder why my son didn't install it ? He doesn't do installs as his day job, doesn't want to and I respect that, wouldn't push him somewhere he didn't really want to go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Are you going to lag the pipework?
It has occurred to me. Not too bothered about the CH pipes but I can see value in the HW....and yet, if you (i) think about it, demand for ( our) HW is occasional. Fill a sink maybe twice a day, bathe once a day. Any lagging will hold the temps in the pipes...but only for so long. By the time we'd need to use the HW again, it'd have lost most if the heat,even in lagged pipes. Then there's getting to all the pipes, problematic to say the least.
For continuous or frequent demand, definitely...for us, not sure at all.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
I had mine done 5 years ago, it replaced a 35 year old Ideal.
£2895 excluding minor sundries:
1667055317452.png

The gas bills suggest it's nearer 83% efficient than the 95% it claims, so at the price cap tariff I'll be on when my fixed rate runs out it'll save ~£130 a year. For that, I'd have the old one back tomorrow.

si_c

Guru
I had mine done 5 years ago, it replaced a 35 year old Ideal.
£2895 excluding minor sundries:
View attachment 666245
The gas bills suggest it's nearer 83% efficient than the 95% it claims, so at the price cap tariff I'll be on when my fixed rate runs out it'll save ~£130 a year. For that, I'd have the old one back tomorrow.

You have to get it running in condensing mode to get the higher efficiency levels and you also need it to modulate with weather compensation, without these things it's less efficient. Condensing mode is easy, just put it at the eco temperature or lower for central heating but weather compensation needed to have been set up by the installer.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
So did a wee experiment the last two days , not wholly accurate but it’s probably indicative of why the settings on your boiler are there.
So as mentioned above we have a unvented condensing boiler. The heat temp setting at the boiler has an eco point . I put that up the the other day to nearly max setting . Well…….. that cost me an extra £4 over the 24hr period for an hours less heating !!

Must admit prior to the energy crisis I used to have the boiler set to max . Decided this year to set at eco but heating the house took longer. Certainly more noticeable this week with the chill. Had it in my head this maybe a false economy. It proves I was probably wrong ! It’s back to eco and will remain !

Top Bottom