New Borders-Edinburgh railway...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
...which is supposed to boost tourism to the Scottish Borders is going to limit trains to 2 bikes max:

http://www.scottishgreens.org.uk/news/borders-rail-bike-limit-short-sighted-say-greens/

But it's ok - leave your bike at home and hire bikes when you get there - WTF!?! Might work for some but Why would I pay to hire a bike (and the train fare) when I have 3 in my garage?!?

Pointless and as the Greens say short-sighted - for the second time this weekend the railways have infuriated me, not that they give a damn.

snorri

Legendary Member

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru

image.jpg

This was my view on the train from Dunfermline-Edinburgh yesterday, 2 carriages provided on a day where an international rugby match and a Hearts home game was taking place - we were only slightly better off than those turned away at stations further down the line.

I tweeted this picture to Scotrail who said they were "prioritising rolling stock", whatever that means! So sorry, I have no faith that any railway provider has any interest other than lining their own pockets.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It is shortsighted but it seems to be fairly standard in the trade.:dry:

Arriva Trains Wales have the same policy and I reckon are completely missing a trick on the Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth route as (in my opinion) they could get a reasonable trade from cyclists riding the Lon Cambria route (NCN 81) and getting the train back if there was more space provided and a little bit of promotion.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru

Arriva Trains Wales have the same policy and I reckon are completely missing a trick on the Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth route as (in my opinion) they could get a reasonable trade from cyclists riding the Lon Cambria route (NCN 81) and getting the train back if there was more space provided and a little bit of promotion.

Some lines don't seem to bother (Glasgow to Ardrossan) whereas others seem determined to make it as difficult as possible - totally inconsistent! As you say you'd think there would be money to be made encouraging cyclists. Ho Hum.

Abellio run Merseyrail and are just outstanding with no real limit on number of bikes - spaces for 4 or 8 (3 or 6 carriage) but if you load at the back of the vestbule then you can get an extra 4 per carriage, on Wirral with hardly any island stations you can travel on group rides easy enough, worst case scenario is having to get off and back on! Only ever had one jobsworth at Ormskirk - the driver changing ends who said we couldn't load the vestibules (sandhills station is an island so wrong side) but the guard coming to his end said 'ignore the miserable....' and just move the bikes before we stop!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
What a shame! We were talking about the new trains, in view of more rides further afield.
Truly, you have problems taking your bike to Perthshire, then on the Balloch - Glasgow line bikes galore no questions asked. Strange standards.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Abellio run Merseyrail and are just outstanding with no real limit on number of bikes - spaces for 4 or 8 (3 or 6 carriage) but if you load at the back of the vestbule then you can get an extra 4 per carriage, on Wirral with hardly any island stations you can travel on group rides easy enough, worst case scenario is having to get off and back on! Only ever had one jobsworth at Ormskirk - the driver changing ends who said we couldn't load the vestibules (sandhills station is an island so wrong side) but the guard coming to his end said 'ignore the miserable....' and just move the bikes before we stop!

Hopefully then they'll reconsider and see the light!

Mr Celine

Discordian
That's about the intercity network. The Borders railway is not part of the intercity network because Gala is not a city.

The greenie going on about the Borders downhill mountain biking courses seems a bit geographically challenged as the nearest ones will still be 15 miles from a station, which is a long way on a MTB.

Having had to live without access to the rail network since I moved here over 20 years ago I'm just glad that I'll be able to get myself on trains again.

snorri

Legendary Member
You're right Mr Celine thanks for pointing out, and Wick and Thurso aren't cities either which is disappointing from my point of view:sad::sad:.
That's the trouble with me taking an optimistic outlook and not reading carefully, disappointments come along regularly:sad:.;

robjh

Legendary Member
As others have hinted, the key factor here will be not the number of officially designated bike spaces but the way the policy is operated in practice once it's up and running. I imagine that the services will be run by two- or at most three-coach units, and two designated bike spaces sounds about normal compared with most of the country. In practice many train operators are tolerant of many more bikes, especially outside peak hours - I can think of two journeys I regularly make where a bike in every other doorway seems quite common.

I know that doesn't give cyclists south of Edinburgh much assurance, but you're not being unduly discriminated against.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

I'd be fascinated to understand what you think is a reasonable trade from cyclists, as you can sit on NCN 81 for days on end and not see a cyclist...

Never had a problem getting a train from Aber or Mac to Caersws with a bike.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'd be fascinated to understand what you think is a reasonable trade from cyclists, as you can sit on NCN 81 for days on end and not see a cyclist...

Never had a problem getting a train from Aber or Mac to Caersws with a bike.
Sorry, I wrote that post without putting together a business plan.;)

It's just my opinion there could be a trade there if it was promoted and if you could be reasonably sure you wouldn't be turned away coz both spaces on the train were already full. The current situation is fine for the odd rider or couple but not much use if you wanted to do it as a group, and it's groups that I see the trade coming from if space was available.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Sorry, I wrote that post without putting together a business plan.;)

It's just my opinion there could be a trade there if it was promoted and if you could be reasonably sure you wouldn't be turned away coz both spaces on the train were already full. The current situation is fine for the odd rider or couple but not much use if you wanted to do it as a group, and it's groups that I see the trade coming from if space was available.
Lot of ifs thobut.

I've never met a cyclist who has been turned away at Aber. Or even heard of it. And I spend far too much time in Mid-Wales. I've got on at Aber with three others and a bloke with a BSO joined us.

The supposed lack of space, or alleged unwillingness of train manager to let cyclist and bike on board, is a minor problem compared with the unreliability of the service on that line - but then I've never had a coach driver on the replacement bus turn his nose up at my bike either.

NCN 81 isn't unfrequented because of the lack of return rail transport. Its unfrequented because, well, it is only NCN81, not exactly the jewel in the crown of UK cycle routes. I love it, well the Welsh part anyway, but LEJOG it ain't.

Top Bottom