New Bosch Motor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Bosch have released details of their new crank drive motor..........with Anti de-tuning technology

The first motor brought out that can’t be dongled or unlocked for more speed. Could be a game changer

Slick

Guru
I've never even considered interfering with the factory settings especially when you can easily buy one already unrestricted.

In what way do you reckon it to be a game changer?

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I've never even considered interfering with the factory settings especially when you can easily buy one already unrestricted.

In what way do you reckon it to be a game changer?
Quite a lot of people have made comments, rightly that they are too easy to hack.......Bosch motor is the first step of making that feeling that people rightly express of illegality on the roads, paths, tracks to be eradicated

It could be a game changer in changing how people feel about them

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I had assumed that the vast majority of ebike users didn't tamper with the bike and just enjoyed the benefits of the standard assistance. Is it common for owners to bypass the power limit? It wouldn't be a 'game changer' otherwise.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

What does this entail?
Not 100% sure as I haven’t read the full blurb.....I believe it’s something in the software that can detect if sensors, magnets, motor etc etc has been tampered with

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I had assumed that the vast majority of ebike users didn't tamper with the bike and just enjoyed the benefits of the standard assistance. Is it common for owners to bypass the power limit? It wouldn't be a 'game changer' otherwise.
And your assumption would be right....but there is always someone awilling to break the law, whether it’s ebikes, alcohol, drugs.....if Bosch can do something to help eleviate the opportunity to de-restrict, then I’m all for that.

Both mine are set-up legally and will remain that way

Smudge

Veteran

Yes it is common..... if it wasn't there wouldn't be such a big market for dongles and chipping modules. You can then add soldering shunts in the controller and changing speed settings into the mix. Or just plain buying non road legal kits and ebikes.

Smudge

Veteran
I'm highly skeptical that Bosch would do this out of any sense of morality for EU law on ebikes. I suspect they just dont want customers dongling their motors and thus making them more prone to breaking by having more power put through them.
Bosch have had their issues on their crank drive motors, whenever you make a motor have more performance it usually comes at the expense of reliability.
Bosch know damn well people dongle their motors, then when there's a defect under warranty, which could be down to performance enhancing, the customer will obviously remove the dongle before a warranty claim. Some claim Bosch know if a motor has been dongled, but thats just an assumption, only Bosch would know if this is true..... and i don't believe it is.

D

Deleted member 26715

Not knowing what a dongle is in this concept I would be surprised they can stop their software being hacked off there is enough demand. I too am cynical of their reasons for doing this

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I'm highly skeptical that Bosch would do this out of any sense of morality for EU law on ebikes. I suspect they just dont want customers dongling their motors and thus making them more prone to breaking by having more power put through them.
Bosch have had their issues on their crank drive motors, whenever you make a motor have more performance it usually comes at the expense of reliability.
Bosch know damn well people dongle their motors, then when there's a defect under warranty, which could be down to performance enhancing, the customer will obviously remove the dongle before a warranty claim. Some claim Bosch know if a motor has been dongled, but thats just an assumption, only Bosch would know if this is true..... and i don't believe it is.
I agree.......im certainly not a fan of the illegal practice that some under take with the de-restricting of their machine.

But i do think there should be more pressure on the manufacturer to produce a product that isnt easy to de-restrict and it could then change peoples views on the E bike brand

Smudge

Veteran
Not knowing what a dongle is in this concept I would be surprised they can stop their software being hacked off there is enough demand. I too am cynical of their reasons for doing this

They may stop it for a while, but people always eventually find a way to get around these things. Then its business as usual for the dongle sellers, or whatever other device they come up with.

Top Bottom