New brake juddering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dave147

just been out on my bike with the new wheels and brakes had a judder /vibrations when braking what have I done wrong

fossala

Guru
What type of brakes are they, cantilever?

OP
OP
dave147

dave147

0AE6FE65-8135-4F40-9FA9-3EC9ABA055E2.jpeg Ultegra cud it be the new pad on the new rim it did go of a bit but first couple of brakes was a big vibrarion

Tangoup51

Make sure there is no headset play
Brake caliper bolt is tightened properly
No bearing play in front wheel
QR skewers tightened correctly
Fork sitting correctly on skewer
Make sure rim is true
Make sure pads are tightened

raleighnut

Legendary Member
As @screenman says clean the protective coating off the rim, mind you I use 'Fairy Liquid' and a scouring pad especially with tyres fitted.

OP
OP
dave147

dave147

Every thing tight didn’t clean rims as I didn’t know to. Also this toe in business how much shud it be. Gona hit YouTube up and have a look on there

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Toe in is set so the leading edge of the brake pad hits the rim first.
I use a thin piece of card from a cereal packet folded in half. Loosen the retaining nut for the brake pad and then trap the card between the wheel rim and the rear end of the brake pad. Adjust the position of the pad so it meets the rim correctly, then squeeze the brake lever tightly so it compresses the card against the rim while you tighten the retaining nut again. This will give you appx 2mm toe in and can help prevent squealing and shuddering. Repeat on the other 3 brake blocks.

Top Bottom