New brakes on an old steel frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gingerwizard

I've bought some new campag brakes for my old winter bike and instead of the fixing bolt coming all the way through the frame as the old ones do they seem to be short, is that because the "nut" supplied is supposed to fit through the mounting hole in the forks/ frame?? and if so is it just a case of drilling the rear hole in the forks/frame to fit it through?? please help as i dont want to wreck an old but sound ( peugot) frame

bianco

I've drilled out before, use an 8mm drill piece.

Drill the front fork out from the back, don't go all the way to the hole at the front.

Unfortunately you have to drill the rear bridge all the way, good luck.

Never suffered any problems.

OP
OP
gingerwizard

gingerwizard

Thanks for that, i thought it would be the case, does the rear need drilling all the way so that the caliper doesn't tighten up on the frame??

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
gingerwizard said:
Thanks for that, i thought it would be the case, does the rear need drilling all the way so that the caliper doesn't tighten up on the frame??

No, I think it's more that you can't get the drill in because the seat tube is in the way!

e-rider

crappy member
I wouldn't drill the frame! you could get a frame builder such as Argos or Mercian to inspect and drill it - it's quite cheap too. Otherwise I'd go searching for some old style bolt through brakes. Or buy a new frame and use your nice new dual pivot allen fitting ones. If you drill the frok crown and it breaks whilst riding you could easily kill yourself!

Top Bottom