1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New brakes on an old steel frame

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by gingerwizard, 28 Feb 2008.

1. gingerwizard

gingerwizard Well-Known Member

I've bought some new campag brakes for my old winter bike and instead of the fixing bolt coming all the way through the frame as the old ones do they seem to be short, is that because the "nut" supplied is supposed to fit through the mounting hole in the forks/ frame?? and if so is it just a case of drilling the rear hole in the forks/frame to fit it through?? please help as i dont want to wreck an old but sound ( peugot) frame

2. bianco

bianco New Member

I've drilled out before, use an 8mm drill piece.

Drill the front fork out from the back, don't go all the way to the hole at the front.

Unfortunately you have to drill the rear bridge all the way, good luck.

Never suffered any problems.

3. OP
    OP
    gingerwizard

Thanks for that, i thought it would be the case, does the rear need drilling all the way so that the caliper doesn't tighten up on the frame??

4. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

No, I think it's more that you can't get the drill in because the seat tube is in the way!

5. OP
    OP
    gingerwizard

Of course !!! thanks for all that, thats a job for the next four days off!;)

6. Paul_Smith SRCC

Paul_Smith SRCC Über Member

Although special drills are available that will allow you to drill from seat tube side, most wouldn't bother though

Paul_Smith
    www.bikeplus.co.uk

7. e-rider

e-rider crappy member

I wouldn't drill the frame! you could get a frame builder such as Argos or Mercian to inspect and drill it - it's quite cheap too. Otherwise I'd go searching for some old style bolt through brakes. Or buy a new frame and use your nice new dual pivot allen fitting ones. If you drill the frok crown and it breaks whilst riding you could easily kill yourself!