New Brompton ... here's the problem I didn't think of ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
I spent a few days in York last year and did the trip via train / & my nice new Brompton. Left it locked up in various places at various times of day and evening; but ALWAYS to one of the numerous Sheffield stands that proliferate around York. I use a good solid close link chain lock which weighs about 2kg. and I still have my Brompton - ! I think much depends on time and place and obviously York is a very cycle orientated city.:bicycle: But I still agree with the above posts; if in ANY doubt, take your Brompton inside with you. Which is much of the point of the design in the first place; Bromptons are allowed in places which would refuse other less elegant folders.^_^

StuartG

slower but further
Frankly I wouldn't lock any bike to anything in London. It may get stolen, it will certainly have you worrying all day it might be stolen. Having a Brompton I can take with me now means I use a bike much more in town and because it is in sight I don't worry so the outing is more enjoyable.

Bromptons are a paradigm shift when it comes to city cycling, continental touring and all that lies between!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Yeah, except the bloomin' thing is pretty bulky. If I know I'm intending to catch the tram in Manchester I pack it but the rest of the time I don't. I should really get round to stuffing a bin bag somewhere for cases like this.

If you don't have anything stored in the main tube that would likely take a bin bag, it takes my spare inner tube, a couple of zip ties and a pair of latex gloves - a very snug fit all told

If you don't have anything stored in the main tube that would likely take a bin bag, it takes my spare inner tube, a couple of zip ties and a pair of latex gloves - a very snug fit all told
Yeah, but I have the bung-thing on the bottom so need an allen key (if memory serves) to get it out... all just a lot of faff for no real gain by some poor sod who's been told 'no bikes unless in bags'.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Yeah, but I have the bung-thing on the bottom so need an allen key (if memory serves) to get it out... all just a lot of faff for no real gain by some poor sod who's been told 'no bikes unless in bags'.
Ah. Not the seat tube, quite agree, somewhat of a faff to be using that for storage.

I'm referring to the top tube, for want of knowing what Brommy actually refer to it as.

Once hinged open it is a useful if narrow space for an emergency waterproof or spare tube or bin bag etc cover for on the bus.

Mine is chock full and still closes happily with my toolkit in the front section too.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I just carry the Brompton cover hanging from the saddle. Weighs nothing and the bag also has room for a banana or choccie bar, so win-win.

I honestly can't recall the last time I had to use it – must have been many years ago – but it's peace of mind to have it there in case you encounter a jobsworth.

roundthebendbromcycle

I'm a carrier, the only time I've used a lock was with a trailer, otherwise its not further than I can run to chase someone trying to nick it (not very far). I use a travel bag cover sometimes if I'm going on a bus, it then becomes luggage, I've got bored waiting to be refused anywhere, I vaguely remember some chap in a shop offering to put it being the counter years ago, I just smiled said 'no thanks' and walked on.
I suppose I have knocked the odd tin of the shelf over the years but I think a bit of customer product testing is a good thing. The Brompton is also attractive and unusual thing, the public like attractive and unusual, so we are all fulfilling a public service. Its also a great workout (unless you have one of those titanium jobbys).

OP
OP
S

salmonboy

Thanks for all the (surprisingly unanimous) comments. The first week with the Brompton has been fairly good; it is a pain hoisting the equivalent of a suitcase everywhere I go, but I've taken it in a few places (including the train) without encountering any objections. For everyday shopping trips, I think I'll be sticking with the less covetable Dahon.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Science Museum takes them as 'luggage', best spot to store in London IMO, but you do need to mind their opening hours.
Trying to remember which London Museum/Gallery refused to take mine. It may have been the Courtauld.

At the Welsh National Museum I couldn't get it in a locker so a member of staff took it and locked it in an office for me.

Top Bottom