New Brompton ... here's the problem I didn't think of ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
No but it can sit on the floor under the screen.
or on the seat next to me. :wub:

Mine's been in the cinema before.
I don't leave mine outside; not carrying a lock is a very good excuse. I have been prevented boarding a bus with it once, needed a cover apparently.
If you have the rear rack & Easy Wheels wheeling it folded isn't so bad (half-fold it and steer it by the handlebars).

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I think the cinema could also be a problem -you can't very well shuffle it down the row with you can you?

Realistically how many even rabid bike advocates would even think of taking a Brompton to the flicks over walking or getting a lift or on the bus or in a taxi.

You could argue that it is useless on trains because you can't get it in the toilet with you if you want to take that approach.

as said before pragmatism and nobody puts a gun to your head to ride it or any other type of bike all the time.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
About 10 years ago, before I knew much about bikes, I worked with a pm who rode to client meetings on a folding bike.
I suspect it was a Brompton. I once talked to him about the practicalities of getting about and his comments were mostly about the stuff, not the bike.

In poor weather its acceptable to arrive with a rain coat and a brolly but tiring up in over trousers, a wet weather jacket and wet hair was an issue for him...would be for me.

But I don't think he ever had an issue bringing in the folded bike, most times he would ask the receptionist if he could leave his "bag" behind the desk. I suspect most didn't even know what was in it.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I wondered recently on a daytrip sightseeing stopover in London when checking our holiday bags into left luggage, if they'd store it for me as luggage if I chose to bring it on a work trip etc.
Yes - no problem. The only issue will be working out which Brompton in the hotel luggage room is yours.

Sara_H

Guru
Realistically how many even rabid bike advocates would even think of taking a Brompton to the flicks over walking or getting a lift or on the bus or in a taxi.

You could argue that it is useless on trains because you can't get it in the toilet with you if you want to take that approach.

as said before pragmatism and nobody puts a gun to your head to ride it or any other type of bike all the time.
Wasn't necessarily advocating taking a Brompton into cinema, just highlighting a situation in which you might consider making other arrangements. Which seems to be the spirit of the thread.
I regularly rude to the cinema, but go on my hybrid and lick it up outside.

I wondered recently on a daytrip sightseeing stopover in London when checking our holiday bags into left luggage, if they'd store it for me as luggage if I chose to bring it on a work trip etc.
Science Museum takes them as 'luggage', best spot to store in London IMO, but you do need to mind their opening hours.

Top Bottom