New build - no insulation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
After doing a bit of reading around have decided not to have it done and have cancelled the free survey. Read a few too many horror stories and although my house is old and the hallway is cold I have no damp problems whatsoever and don’t want to risk any in future. Will pursue insulation from the inside. Will try and find the article that informed my decision and link it later.
Here it is. http://www.askjeff.co.uk/cavity-wall-fill/
I think your quite wise, despite what others would have you believe.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Quick update - we've had a second, more thorough inspection - and insulation was missed from the roof space above the two bedrooms and also in the dormer of our attic room. It is intact in all the walls - and i have two lovely big holes I can look in to prove it!
We've got an appointment for next month to have them come in and put a bigger hole in our bedroom wall so a man can fit in and put insulation in there.
I've had an "I can only apologise for your inconvenience" but no actual apology or explanation. I'm giving them a few more days to respond to my email then I'll be going straight to the CEO.

screenman

Legendary Member
Quick update - we've had a second, more thorough inspection - and insulation was missed from the roof space above the two bedrooms and also in the dormer of our attic room. It is intact in all the walls - and i have two lovely big holes I can look in to prove it!
We've got an appointment for next month to have them come in and put a bigger hole in our bedroom wall so a man can fit in and put insulation in there.
I've had an "I can only apologise for your inconvenience" but no actual apology or explanation. I'm giving them a few more days to respond to my email then I'll be going straight to the CEO.

Why wait, just get onto them straight away.

byegad

Legendary Member
That's what I expected when I read your first post this morning Sandra. Our new build 4 bed detached is very well insulated and my understanding is the the builders have to conform to several regulations on insulation.

For a comparison, our previous home, a two bed and bathroom up, kitchen and sitting room down, terrace house was costing rather more than two and a half the times what we now pay for heat and light, and this house is appreciably warmer than the old one.

Brains

Legendary Member

I would strongly suggest it's worth the cost of employing your own surveyor to check the house top to bottom, if they managed to get away with "forgetting" to fit something like insulation, then what else is "missing" ?

I presume Persimmon did not just build one house?
You need to talk to all the other house owners, as there is good chance they have "forgotten" to fit the insulation in the other properties as well.
It makes your life a lot easier if they have to do the job on all the houses.

Brains

Legendary Member
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but has anyone on here had that beaded cavity wall insulation done in their house? Thinking about having it done as my hallways freezing (pre1930s house). I have read a few complimentary reviews but also a few horror stories that have put me right off.

What I did in a 1960's end of terrace three story house without a cavity where the staircases/hallway ran all the way up from bottom to top, was to internally fit plasterboard with polystyrene and aluminium foil attached on the inside.

In made the wall about 1" thicker on the inside It took about 2 days to fit, skim and then paint.
Far easier and cheaper to do than fill cavities that were not designed to be filled, and you won't get damp issues
End result is invisible, but bought up the temperature in the hallway by about 5 degrees.

Something like this stuff. (But I'm sure we did not pay even half the price per sheet they are quoting),
https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Kna...5mm-x-2400mm-x-1200mm-(2-88m²-Sheet)/p/603575

Davos87

Guru
What I did in a 1960's end of terrace three story house without a cavity where the staircases/hallway ran all the way up from bottom to top, was to internally fit plasterboard with polystyrene and aluminium foil attached on the inside.

In made the wall about 1" thicker on the inside It took about 2 days to fit, skim and then paint.
Far easier and cheaper to do than fill cavities that were not designed to be filled, and you won't get damp issues
End result is invisible, but bought up the temperature in the hallway by about 5 degrees.

Something like this stuff. (But I'm sure we did not pay even half the price per sheet they are quoting),
https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Knauf-Thermal-Laminate-Plus-Tapered-Edge-Plasterboard-35mm-x-2400mm-x-1200mm-(2-88m²-Sheet)/p/603575
Yes thanks for that. Along the lines of what we are considering. Have to agree the prices for the materials in that website do seem a tad optimistic. Will certainly be shopping around.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Latest on this is that the workmen are coming on friday to put in some insulation.
But in the email from the company it says " there is the possibility that the insulation has not been installed" Possibility my ass!!!
I'm still trying to get a response from them about any compensation.
I've got the number of the construction director but he's not returning my calls.
FUming doesn't come close!

Drago

Legendary Member

Don't forget to bill them £50 an hour form your time, and take them into the small claims court if they don't pay.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but has anyone on here had that beaded cavity wall insulation done in their house? Thinking about having it done as my hallways freezing (pre1930s house). I have read a few complimentary reviews but also a few horror stories that have put me right off.

I think @summerdays did.
I had cavity wall done in a previous house, but it was some kind of fluff they injected.
We had the beads put into our cavity walls on our 1926 house. I can't really say if it made a huge difference or not as we had it done shortly after moving in (having had insulation on a previous house). The cavity space is quite narrow, but was ok to do whereas our neighbour whose house is a year or two older was not suitable. It hasn't caused any damp problems, and I like to think it is warmer. (Sorting the gap under the front door where the step is worn away would also help:whistle:)

classic33

Leg End Member
We had the beads put into our cavity walls on our 1926 house. I can't really say if it made a huge difference or not as we had it done shortly after moving in (having had insulation on a previous house). The cavity space is quite narrow, but was ok to do whereas our neighbour whose house is a year or two older was not suitable. It hasn't caused any damp problems, and I like to think it is warmer. (Sorting the gap under the front door where the step is worn away would also help:whistle:)
Spinney may be able to help on that last part
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/diy-advice-weatherproofing-back-door.147233/

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
SO , the workmen are here.
I've had a look into the space where the insulation should be - and it's definitely not there. I should've taken a photo now I think about it.
I got no joy from leaving messages with the director, or CEO's secretary. And the customer care manager is useless - she's supposed to have emailed me confirmation of a follow up appointment, but I'm still waiting.
What is making me so cross is that I've had to do all the running - arranging appointments, demanding action. Basically chasing them every step of the way.
What should have happened is a phone call to apologise and an assurance that they would get things sorted for me. Too much to ask for clearly!

Top Bottom