New build - no insulation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you take some legal advice - maybe through your home insurance? And then send them the bill. I'm not sure sending a bill for your time will have the same effect

MikeG

Guru
Chap I know just bought a new house on a piece of land that used to flood every few years. Clearly the builders knew that too, because all the electric sockets on the ground floor are at waist height.

You sure? Sockets now have to be above 450 from the floor (18") so that the disabled can reach them easily. This can look odd to people who haven't seen them so high before.

MikeG

Guru
SO , the workmen are here.
I've had a look into the space where the insulation should be - and it's definitely not there. I should've taken a photo now I think about it.
I got no joy from leaving messages with the director, or CEO's secretary. And the customer care manager is useless - she's supposed to have emailed me confirmation of a follow up appointment, but I'm still waiting.
What is making me so cross is that I've had to do all the running - arranging appointments, demanding action. Basically chasing them every step of the way.
What should have happened is a phone call to apologise and an assurance that they would get things sorted for me. Too much to ask for clearly!

Is this the space above your room-in-the-roof? If so, it is quite likely that the insulation follows the line of the rafters (ie the slope of the roof), rather than being flat on the ceiling. Given the way the developers have behaved over this, though, I would want absolute certainty over that before you let them off site.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Is this the space above your room-in-the-roof? If so, it is quite likely that the insulation follows the line of the rafters (ie the slope of the roof), rather than being flat on the ceiling. Given the way the developers have behaved over this, though, I would want absolute certainty over that before you let them off site.
There is some insulation along the roof line, but there is none in the frame of the dormer window. And they've said that they will put some in on the floor level of the roof space if that makes sense? I'm tempted to ask them to put a little door on it so I can have some storage space though!

As for billing them for my time, I've been advised that the best chance of compensation is to go for loss of earnings.

Drago

Legendary Member
You sure? Sockets now have to be above 450 from the floor (18") so that the disabled can reach them easily. This can look odd to people who haven't seen them so high before.

Very sure buddy. Waist height, a good third or more up the wall, not a feeble 18". The sockets upstairs are all at a regular distance from the floor.

Mrs M

Guru
SO , the workmen are here.
I've had a look into the space where the insulation should be - and it's definitely not there. I should've taken a photo now I think about it.
I got no joy from leaving messages with the director, or CEO's secretary. And the customer care manager is useless - she's supposed to have emailed me confirmation of a follow up appointment, but I'm still waiting.
What is making me so cross is that I've had to do all the running - arranging appointments, demanding action. Basically chasing them every step of the way.
What should have happened is a phone call to apologise and an assurance that they would get things sorted for me. Too much to ask for clearly!
Local press?
Nobody likes bad publicity.
Almost wish we’d gone down that route with our new (botch job) windows and doors a while back, from a local highly reputable window company :angry: May have had a better response.
I totally sympathise as we’ve had all the running around, phone calls, broken promises and disappointments.
Took them 2 years to fully complete the job.
Gave us a £200 discount as a gesture of goodwill (from £8600 bill).
Then they had the cheek to write demanding the £200 we still owed them as nobody had noted the discount.
Good luck.
x

classic33

Leg End Member
Local press?
Nobody likes bad publicity.
Almost wish we’d gone down that route with our new (botch job) windows and doors a while back, from a local highly reputable window company :angry: May have had a better response.
I totally sympathise as we’ve had all the running around, phone calls, broken promises and disappointments.
Took them 2 years to fully complete the job.
Gave us a £200 discount as a gesture of goodwill (from £8600 bill).
Then they had the cheek to write demanding the £200 we still owed them as nobody had noted the discount.
Good luck.
x
I'd have sent a "rubber cheque".

Mrs M

Guru
I'd have sent a "rubber cheque".
We did threaten to withhold payment and apply our own fair discount :dry:
This was met with threats, so we paid up :sad:
However, every time we see a T****** Windows rep in our street I toddle over and educate the householder about our experience with this company (photographic evidence available) and they go elsewhere.
Cost this company a fair wee bit so far and saved some neighbours from the stress :angel:

screenman

Legendary Member
My dormer from memory has 5 inch Kingspan on the vertical wall and the sloping part of the ceiling, whilst the flat part has 10 inches of fibre. The sides of the dormer are also 5inch and the ceiling 10 inches of fibre.

Last edited:
Top Bottom