'New' Car Day!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Electric handbrakes can be a pain. In snowy weather and when parking up in wet weather it’s better to leave car in gear with handbrake off as the auto release when you go to drive away can result in the pads sticking slightly and prematurely wear down the discs.

Also if the car battery goes flat then getting it to release is a pain too if there isn’t a manual override pull cord somewhere, you need to be fast when turning the car on to press release Ha ha!

My scenic had both these problems.

Nice car the Skoda’s. I would get a Skoda again if I needed a second car in the futures.

Aww!
That’s thoughtful, upon turning it off/opening the door
I saw this after my daughter had got it to see my iPhone

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Electric handbrakes can be a pain. In snowy weather and when parking up in wet weather it’s better to leave car in gear with handbrake off as the auto release when you go to drive away can result in the pads sticking slightly and prematurely wear down the discs.

Also if the car battery goes flat then getting it to release is a pain too if there isn’t a manual override pull cord somewhere, you need to be fast when turning the car on to press release Ha ha!

Nice car the Skoda’s. I would get a Skoda again if I needed a second car in the futures.
The quickest way to make an electric parking brake (or indeed most mechanical things) stop working properly is to not use it. I drive one of those troublesome Discovery 3s and at over 200,000 miles the EPB has never failed to work, but then I use it as I would a 'traditional' one, and have it serviced regularly.

Make sure that you get the EPB serviced regularly - my Disco has one and if it fails, it's a real pain. It needs regular (annual) adjusting and it's something that a competent garage will do - but worth mentioning it whenever the car is getting an MoT or service.

The quickest way to make an electric parking brake (or indeed most mechanical things) stop working properly is to not use it. I drive one of those troublesome Discovery 3s and at over 200,000 miles the EPB has never failed to work, but then I use it as I would a 'traditional' one, and have it serviced regularly.
Wifes C-HR has one, as does daughters M-B Aclass

What annoyed me about it is that, it applies & you can't open door for reversing
(yes.... I do now know it can be switched off)

I'm not a fan of the D3, the shape looks wrong to me (I had a 300Tdi)
In particular that 'crease' makes it look like a double-cab pick-up, with a truckman top

As for the D4, the softer edges improve it
I'd love to try one, with (if it's feasible) the TDV8 transplanted from a L322 :okay:

The towbar that was ordered a couple of days after bringing the Kodiaq home is being fitted now
There's a mobile fitter deconstructing the back end of it, to fit the bracketry/frame. as I type
(he arrived about 09:45)

:cry::eek:

https://www.towbar2u.com/

View attachment 595478

View attachment 595479

View attachment 595480

All back together, & the load-space contents replaced by 12:15
Barring a few greasy fingerprints, & the cut-out that can be seen from a following drivers eye-view, it's hidden

I'm in two-minds about that...
Previously, I've always had flanged 'bars, that are visible
From my Chevette, all the way through to my 110CSW
Complete with Dixon-Bate adjustable, & upgraded lighting (from the standard glow-worms!)

The 'dedicated' electrics turn-off the reversing sensors, & activate the 'tell-tale' in the instrument cluster that tells the driver that the trailer indicators are working
Curiously, it also tells if an indicator bulb blows
I'd have thought that the lack of a 'tell-tale' would suffice?!

Legislation, I guess?

Rotatable 13-pin socket

There are also (out of sight) a couple of holes that can be used for a breakaway cable
I'll try to find a mini-shackle, to save getting on my knees to attach the hook

Last edited:
Reactions: gbb

Brandane

Legendary Member
The Octavia is sold, just awaiting collection
I bought that, in March 2021, at 7 months old, with about 7,000 miles showing
Now it's on almost 152,400miles!!
Wow :ohmy:, that's some going!
145,000 miles in 3 months.
48000 per month.
1600 per day.
Going by the reg. number, I assume/hope you meant 2011 :okay:.

Wow :ohmy:, that's some going!
145,000 miles in 3 months.
48000 per month.
1600 per day.
Going by the reg. number, I assume/hope you meant 2011 :okay:.
My mistake, obviously :blush::blush::blush:

Wouldn't entertain the former, barring the i8
That said, a few months ago, a 530 (diesel) estate pulled up at work, by A&E Reception
It was in a nice 'petrol blue', & on sensible wheels/tyres (not silly 'rubber-bands')
I was taken with it, for a moment, until it pulled away, & it was an automaticxx(

The latter, only the RS6 estate (as the V8 ,but again... automatic)

Last edited:

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Wifes C-HR has one, as does daughters M-B Aclass

What annoyed me about it is that, it applies & you can't open door for reversing
(yes.... I do now know it can be switched off)

I'm not a fan of the D3, the shape looks wrong to me (I had a 300Tdi)
In particular that 'crease' makes it look like a double-cab pick-up, with a truckman top

As for the D4, the softer edges improve it
I'd love to try one, with (if it's feasible) the TDV8 transplanted from a L322 :okay:
I’ve never noticed much difference (apart from second hand prices) between the D3 and D4. There is a chap up near Aberdeen who has successfully transplanted a TDV8 into one, but he’s a professional mechanic and I think it took a lot of time and tinkering to get right.

I’ve never noticed much difference (apart from second hand prices) between the D3 and D4. There is a chap up near Aberdeen who has successfully transplanted a TDV8 into one, but he’s a professional mechanic and I think it took a lot of time and tinkering to get right.
Interesting!

I know there's a few TDV6's gone into Defender 90s & 110s (the 'real shape' models)

Drago

Legendary Member
You could get the D3 and 4 with the Jag petrol V8. Strangely, few bothered, likely because of running costs. I think id3 just go buy an Overfinch rather than mess about with engine swaps.

It always seems a bit odd to me that people will spend 60 grand on a 2.5 tonne SUV, and then worry about the cost of fuel, which is almost inconsequential compared to that which they already spent.

Top Bottom