New car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sazzaa

At the moment I drive an old clio, it uses hardly any petrol, I can have it as messy as I like (I occasionally cram a muddy bike into it) and it's good on snow. But this year I'm thinking I might upgrade... I'm finding myself drawn to small cars, smart cars and even considering going electric. Any advice out there on something that will suit my needs? (Yes I realise this is a cycling forum before anyone states the obvious)

It all depends on the other uses you need the car for, do you do long journeys or is everything local?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, for what it is worth ... my advice is that a Smart car is too small to cram a muddy bike into! (Yes, you could always fit a rack on the back.)

Oh, and also that you already have a car that suits your needs. What you are looking for is one that suits your 'wants' and only you know what they are.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
At the moment I drive an old clio, it uses hardly any petrol, I can have it as messy as I like (I occasionally cram a muddy bike into it) and it's good on snow. But this year I'm thinking I might upgrade... I'm finding myself drawn to small cars, smart cars and even considering going electric. Any advice out there on something that will suit my needs? (Yes I realise this is a cycling forum before anyone states the previous)
Going electric is false economy as batteries cost a fortune to replace. You won't get a bike in a smart car either. It all depends on how much you want to pay as there is plenty of choice out there.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Oh, and also that you already have a car that suits your needs. What you are looking for is one that suits your 'wants' and only you know what they are.
This is true, I'm not even sure what I want, I just like buying stuff... The clio is hard work though, after a fall on the bike I was finding it painful to change gears in the car!

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Going electric is false economy as batteries cost a fortune to replace. You won't get a bike in a smart car either. It all depends on how much you want to pay as there is plenty of choice out there.
How often do they need replaced?

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

In that case a VW Golf diesel would be ideal, in fact any of the super mini diesels would do, like Punto, Fiesta, but as Colin has said........a Smart would be far too cramped
Perfect, I think I just need an idea of where to start really. So much choice.

I only drive 5 miles to work but need to arrive refreshed and smelling nice as I work in a busy large office so drive rather than ride in, most of my driving is reasonably local but I do visit family who are 70miles away regular, I like fresh air and not feeling like I am in a railway carriage so I drive a convertible which is the best of all worlds for my needs, it has a towbar for carrying the bikes if we go long distance
Other half has the big car.

In that case then something like a Fiesta with semi auto box would do you nicely, something like this on the bay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-FORD...4364317?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cdb204a9d

Top Bottom