New car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I think nowadays they are all good. They have all had to up there game so to speak because there are many small cars today and they are all vying for peoples business, so there isn't much to chose between them. It's more along the linss of which one do you like the look of.

I thinks that's about it, I have a car with my work and I just pick one I fancy that does the job, I've never bothered with a test drive or any nonsense like that.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Can vouch for the C1 as a cheap and reliable car ... fun too!
Skoda are great, have owned 2 and they've been excellent.
My next car will be a Dacia, the New Logan unless circumstances change, cheap, shedloads of space and 70mpg.

But these days, Dacia, Hyundai, Kia all offer excellent low cost reliable motoring.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Can vouch for the C1 as a cheap and reliable car ... fun too!
Skoda are great, have owned 2 and they've been excellent.
My next car will be a Dacia, the New Logan unless circumstances change, cheap, shedloads of space and 70mpg.

But these days, Dacia, Hyundai, Kia all offer excellent low cost reliable motoring.

I'd watch out for the Dacia, they get some pretty bad reviews. The man refuses to use them as hire cars on jobs because they're so badly made... He doesn't feel safe in them.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

I will drive about10 different cars today as part o my work, I would say that looking for something small I would consider the Hyundai range. I own a VW next time it may well be a Seat or Skoda, as I cannot see a quality difference despite working on them all.

Hyundai i10 gets some good feedback. Could be a contender.

pplpilot

Guru
Forget practical, get something FUN!! Its what Carriers are for.

practicallambo300.jpg

rolls_royce_phantom_bike_rack_by_partywave.jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'd watch out for the Dacia, they get some pretty bad reviews. The man refuses to use them as hire cars on jobs because they're so badly made... He doesn't feel safe in them.
That's interesting, I've only read good reviews of the new range and in Europe there are zillions of them on the road. Now effectively Renault they may be basic but the construction etc. should be fine. They said the same about Skoda once ....

asterix

Comrade Member

They don't do so well in NCAP tests.

A friend has a SEAT that I drove recently and I was impressed by it. They never used to be that good. I'd definitely consider a SEAT altho the Yaris we bought has been good.

As for Skoda, it's no surprise they are rated. The Czechs were renowned for their engineering skills, even more so than the Germans for whom they built the Panzer tank. I wouldn't recommend a Panzer unless you are planning to visit Poland.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How often do they need replaced?

That is the question. With the Nissan Leaf, you can buy the car for about £16k plus, but you lease the battery for £70 per month ! (what do you spend on fuel per month ?). With the Hybrids, well you buy the car but they aren't cheap. I think a Hybrid Yaris is over £15k with the Prius something like £25k. They aren't as green as you think, and the battery production itself is very harmful to the environment.

Stick to a modern diesel with stop start technology if you do a fair amount of distance and long runs. If it's local and low mileage, get petrol. Diesels don't like stop start driving as this clogs up the particulate filter, and they need a good regular motorway/dual carriageway blast.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Anything German I'd say you'll be reasonably safe...but any car can go TU at some point. Personally I would avoid all recent Renaults but just because the electronics in them are a nightmare when they go wrong and only Renault main dealers seem to have the kit to sort them out (if at all). This would be important to me because I do pretty much all work on my cars myself bar tyre changes and MOTs lol

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My wife has a Yaris Mk1 from when they came out in 1999. It's been brilliant. I've even got my bike in whole - wheels and guards still on it, on it's side with the front passenger seat down. They are very frugal on fuel, and it's certainly one car where I think the Hybrid version is pointless. We've had upto 60 mpg from a 1 litre petrol. It averages over 40 mpg in daily traffic driving.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I'm in the same boat looking for a small economical car. I am going used up to 5K. I don't really want a diesel as if they do go wrong they can cost a lot to fix and with amount of miles that I do they won't make a huge difference from a small engined petrol car. My parents have a Hyundai i10 and a Peugoet 107, both great little cars but slightly too small for me. After much research on reliability and also running costs the 2 cars I am looking at will be the Honda Jazz and the Suzuki Swift. The Jazz has a much better use of interior space and is quite big inside for a small car, they hold their money really well. A mechanic recommended the Swift and from what I have read they are a very relaible car, cheaper than a Jazz too.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I'm in the same boat looking for a small economical car. I am going used up to 5K. I don't really want a diesel as if they do go wrong they can cost a lot to fix and with amount of miles that I do they won't make a huge difference from a small engined petrol car. My parents have a Hyundai i10 and a Peugoet 107, both great little cars but slightly too small for me. After much research on reliability and also running costs the 2 cars I am looking at will be the Honda Jazz and the Suzuki Swift. The Jazz has a much better use of interior space and is quite big inside for a small car, they hold their money really well. A mechanic recommended the Swift and from what I have read they are a very relaible car, cheaper than a Jazz too.

I have a suzuki splash. It is just about to have its first MOT. Before this one I had a suzuki vitara. Good cars. My splash has a 1200cc engine which is all I need, and the tax disc costs £125 per year. Good reliable cars. And I like the suzuki dealer. They pick my car up, do the service and bring it back. Great service all round from them

Top Bottom