New car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephen C

Über Member
We have a Honda Jazz, easily do over 50mpg, huge boot for the size of car, and because it is usual driven by old people, the insurance is cheaper than cars normally associated with yoofs (VW Golf's, Corsa's etc)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I only drive 5 miles to work but need to arrive refreshed and smelling nice as I work in a busy large office ...
Drive to work if you want to, but 'smelling nice' isn't a valid excuse - you could easily ride 5 miles in less than half an hour without even raising a sweat! :thumbsup:

As for 'refreshed' ... 25 minutes of gentle pedalling would be a much better way of perking you up than driving!

SteCenturion

I am your Father
My missus is also in the market for a new motor.
She currently drives a 1 litre VW Polo but pays more for tax than my 2 litre Astra.

She & I are wooed by by the Ford Focus - 1 litre engine (110 BHP) - hers is 55 bhp about 70 MPG & £1 a decade tax.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
At the moment I drive an old clio, it uses hardly any petrol, I can have it as messy as I like (I occasionally cram a muddy bike into it) and it's good on snow. But this year I'm thinking I might upgrade... I'm finding myself drawn to small cars, smart cars and even considering going electric. Any advice out there on something that will suit my needs? (Yes I realise this is a cycling forum before anyone states the obvious)
The obvious question is why? If you have car that is bought and paid for that does everything you need why replace it? Buy a new bike instead!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
We have a couple of Hyundais, an I30 and an IX35, been very happy with them

Build 'em yourself mac?

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

The obvious question is why? If you have car that is bought and paid for that does everything you need why replace it? Buy a new bike instead!
Because I want something shiny and new!(The Clio is a 52 plate and after coming off my bike a few days ago it actually hurt to change gears, would be nice to have something that's less effort)

Dacia or Renault?
If you look closely you can see they have different badges.Certainly in Brazil the Sandero and Duster I've seen there are badged as Renaults.

I regularly get hire cars, the booking is for "Astra 1.4 or similar". There's been a fair variety over the past 18 months and they are just that, all similar.
Only notable one was when they had run out so I got an upgrade to a BMW M525 diesel. After a couple of hours on a motorway even that was 'meh'.

stowie

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2876626, member: 9609"]I took the DPF off my van and improved the mpg from 44 to 50. They are just a complete nightmare if you drive with economy in mind, in fact try to avoid the
modern diesel engines altogether, they are being destroyed with anti-pollution crap. And are going to become incredibly expensive maintenance wise.

15 years ago a good driver in an artic was getting just over 8 to the gallon, very few are now achieving more the 7.5 They are now using more diesel to produce less emissions, it's completely mad. The latest Scania Euro 6 engine is a ¼ tonne heavy than the engine it is replacing, it is amazing how much crap they are sticking on engines now.[/quote]

I think that they are now going to inspect the DPF on MOT now and fail a vehicle that has had one removed.

I had a Mondeo in which I did around 15k a year almost exclusively on motorways and the DPF failed on that. I have had an insignia for 6 months and the "swirl flaps" in the manifold failed which is such a common problem on diesels that I see garages offering services to remove them. In BMW I believe they have a habit of coming off, making a jaunt around the engine and comprehensively blowing up everything. I was very glad my car was under warranty as the bill was in the thousands to strip down the engine, replace the turbo and manifold and rebuild.

For a small car around town I would avoid diesels like the plague.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Some great advice on here, thanks :-)

A petrol city car is now looking like where I'm going to start.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
2877985 said:
I thought with a Yaris they just offer to come outside with a lump hammer and pre-dent it for you so you don't have to worry about doing that yourself.
I believe both the Yaris and Micra are the best cars to have if you're planning on driving off a seaside jetty/pier or down the Motorway the wrong way.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Suzuki Swift. 51mpg, will take roof carrier for bikes, good space with seats down, fun, pulls well, cruises comfortably.
Is this a 1.3?

We have a Honda Jazz, easily do over 50mpg, huge boot for the size of car, and because it is usual driven by old people, the insurance is cheaper than cars normally associated with yoofs (VW Golf's, Corsa's etc)
What engine is your Jazz a 1.2 or 1.4?
I have a suzuki splash. It is just about to have its first MOT. Before this one I had a suzuki vitara. Good cars. My splash has a 1200cc engine which is all I need, and the tax disc costs £125 per year. Good reliable cars. And I like the suzuki dealer. They pick my car up, do the service and bring it back. Great service all round from them
Sounds good for my choice of either of these 2 motors then :thumbsup: I have to admit with the Jazz I usually see old people in them, personally it does not bother me as it seems hugely practical. I need to look at a few, as with the Suzuki I will get a newer car for the same cash and there is just me and also my daughter when I have her so not a problem having back seats down.

Top Bottom