New car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
don't go electric, they are not that advanced and although they have a range of 80 miles, they realistically cover only 50 miles before they need an 8 hour charge. And that's only if you don't have heater or radio on which drains the battery fast!

smart car is too small for a bike and I'm not sure they take a bike rack.

i have a Toyota Aygo which is a little city car but with proper back seats. The citreon C1 and Peugeot 107 are the same as the Aygo, it is a joint venture between the companies. Same car but different styling on the outside. The Aygo is nicest style and has longest warranty. £20 a year road tax and I've managed to get 397 miles on £42. Great city car, i once got in a parking space so small i had trouble getting out LOL. My friend "spotted" me getting in but when i returned later without him i was like... "OMG I cant get out"!! They also turn on a penny, like a forklift LOL

MOST importantly... You can get a bike in if you take both wheels off. I tested it much to the amusement of the car salesman. And i have a XL bike. If you get one get a 5 door not a 3 door. Same size but bcoz they are small having the extra doors helps with getting people in and out and also doors are shorter so better for parking next to someone

the only downside is, like you, i had an old car before. I didn't care if it got dented, like when i hit the badger i never even bothered to check my car. But i had the Aygo from brand new and, besides the fact that every stone "clink" i hear makes me worry about my shiny perfect paintwork, or i worry someone will open their door into my car, 4 days after getting it a massive deer ran out and broke its leg and my car . I was more upset about the deer at the time but now I'm ultra paranoid about my car. Sometimes wish i was more relaxed about having a new car but i suppose hitting the deer is what did that, i found it a bit traumatic.

Last edited:

Kies

My son has a 1.4 VW Golf and it's brilliant. I sometimes pinch it for work and odd jobs. Sips petrol, but still cruises along at 70mph on the motorways

Why not get one of the renault Megane a with a big bum (pre 09 reg I think). There is a diesel model that is only £20 road tax, keyless entry, can easily fit a bike in and are a bit hot hatch in the way they drive. Typical renault style mpg is about 40-50 unless you find the sweet point and can push it up to 60.

Fiat grande puntos are good and hold their value. You can also get a road bike in with wheel off. Wouldn't bother with the 1.3 diesel as it's useless around town but good for distance driving. The petrol 1.2/1.4 is much peppier and revvy around town without been too hard in fuel and would easily beat a BMW or Audi off the mark between lights ha ha.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I have recently bought a Toyota Yaris having driven a pre 2003 body shape Nissan Micra for ten years. It wasn't a blind purchase, my wife has one and I was happy with the way hers performed. Mine is a second hand 1.3SR model and is spacious enough to accommodate a couple of bikes with their wheels removed or one bike with the front wheel removed.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

If I can get my bike in a Clio with no wheels removed then surely some of these cars could manage it!

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

One of the guys at my work came in with a VW Up, had nothing but good things to say about it. It felt huge inside, weirdly.

ScotiaLass

Guru
We have this....
_1_zps75dc5b8d.jpg

it can carry many more bikes than we actually own :laugh:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I have a Peugeot partner combi, the quicksilver one. 1.9d
Fairly economic. Lots of in built storage bins. All rear seats down I can get in 3 bikes OR 3 kayaks but no passengers.
1 passenger can get the 3 bikes in but only 2 play boats. Single passenger in rear will give me 1 boat or 1 bike plus enough space for everyonesluggage.
3 kayaks fit on the roof nicely.
It doesn't have many creature comforts, but there will always be a compromise.

U

User33236

My last car was a hybrid. Whilst they boast great fuel figures you will never get near them and in real world driving are often little or no better than the super economic diesels. I never really took to the car and sold it after a couple of years or so.

Be aware that most diesels now come with a particulate filter that doesn't like doing short, low speed commutes or the like all it's life.

As I drive so infrequently now I've gone the 'fun' route and bought a Mustang. It is possible, just, to fit a bike in the back but I need to remove the front wheel and sometimes one or both pedals lol.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Another disadvantage with electric cars is that quite often you are tied into having to rent the battery. This can cost anything from £70 to around £140 per month depending on the car you buy. So not good at all. This applies to brand new cars. I'm not sure what would happen with pre owned cars but it just goes to show the batteries aren't that good and don't last that long.

screenman

Legendary Member
I will drive about10 different cars today as part o my work, I would say that looking for something small I would consider the Hyundai range. I own a VW next time it may well be a Seat or Skoda, as I cannot see a quality difference despite working on them all.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I think nowadays they are all good. They have all had to up there game so to speak because there are many small cars today and they are all vying for peoples business, so there isn't much to chose between them. It's more along the linss of which one do you like the look of.

Top Bottom