New cassette installation - grease?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have the old cassette off and I've cleaned the free hub splines (?). And I'm about to fit the new one but it mentions grease.... What sort of grease for this and applied where?

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I do have some anti-seize assembly lubricant (copper grease I think) would that be good?

[QUOTE 4269638, member: 9609"]if you are doing a lot of miles on wet salty roads then you could smear the free hub body in grease, but if you are a fair weather cyclist I wouldn't bother, just put it together dry. I usually but a few drops of sticky chainsaw oil on and spread it around with a paint brush, I do this with lots of tools and metal things, stops surface rust.[/QUOTE]
Please don't smear stuff with grease. Think of the poor bastard who has to work with that mess later on. A blob of grease or a light, very light coating of grease provide the same protection.

[QUOTE 4269703, member: 9609"]smear - light coating, are they not the same thing? I am meaning a thin film.
when I was on the open-casts we used to have these aerosol cans that contained a black greasy tar like substance, when we were rebuilding stuff we used to cake the outside of it in this gundge, what a nightmare to get off later (needed steam cleaned) but what wonderful protection it offered - I can't remember the name of the stuff, think it was banned as it was toxic or something.[/QUOTE]

I hope they keep it banned. I would hate to have to clean that lot off a freehub body or cassette.

My thin film BTW is one molecule. OK, maybe two.

Top Bottom