New Cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cassette quality won't make bugger all........... or will ONE sprocket.......

Getting bigger gears is not the way to go...just cos you have them.........

Stick to what you are HAPPY WITH.............. :biggrin:

I am really thinking about a compact in the future..... only because of the damage to my shoulder... that's a huge move for me being an old fogie......... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Cassette quality won't make bugger all........... or will ONE sprocket.......

Getting bigger gears is not the way to go...just cos you have them.........

Stick to what you are HAPPY WITH.............. :biggrin:

I am really thinking about a compact in the future..... only because of the damage to my shoulder... that's a huge move for me being an old fogie......... :thumbsup:

When I get to your age I might think about getting a compact too
tongue.gif

I'm thinking psychologically that ONE sprocket might be crucial
biggrin.gif

PpPete

Legendary Member
Potsy in case there is any misunderstanding it is not a sram but a BBB cassette. The ratios are here and look normal to me. What you could do is to enter the ratios of front and back into this and see how the steps change (compared to existing e.g.). I have never bought from fastpartsforbikes on ebay, and there is a reputation historically in bikeradar e.g., but on the other hand the ebay feedback score since late 2008 seems excellent.

I've certainly not had any problem with fastpartsforbikes. Have bought a couple of bits from them.

Whilst Sheldon's calculator is useful, I prefer the Excel spreadsheet on the CTC website (here). Although that one is "locked" you can easily copy & paste to another s/sheet, and then highlight the cells for the different combinations you have.
You can work out the "gaps" might feel in practice by comparing the percentage difference between the "inches" for adjacent gears.
Thus the biggest "gap in your 12-25 cassette is about 13% (between 15 T and 17 T sprocket)
The biggest gap in that 11-28 is over 15% (between 13T and 15T)

Personal opinion is that with anything much more than 10% gap between any of the six smallest sprockets of a 9 speed you can find one gear is too low, the next too high. On the largest 3 sprockets 15% gap is good - again IMO.

Oh no... medical help required, I've got a touch of the MacBs this morning.

If anyone has experience of a BBB 27t cassette, how was it? The only things I could find about them were quite negative.
I am looking at a 27t Ultegra but the cost difference is more than I would expect @ £50.

Any more 11/12/13 - 27t 9spd cassettes out there for a more reasonable cost?

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
If anyone has experience of a BBB 27t cassette, how was it? The only things I could find about them were quite negative.
I am looking at a 27t Ultegra but the cost difference is more than I would expect @ £50.

Any more 11/12/13 - 27t 9spd cassettes out there for a more reasonable cost?

I'm surprised they aren't more readily available 2Loose, have been searching around a bit today but still no nearer deciding tbh, the Sram one 12-26 I have found for £29.99 but would ideally like that Ultegra one.
If they did a Tiagra 12-27 I'm sure it would be very popular.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I'm surprised they aren't more readily available 2Loose, have been searching around a bit today but still no nearer deciding tbh, the Sram one 12-26 I have found for £29.99 but would ideally like that Ultegra one.
If they did a Tiagra 12-27 I'm sure it would be very popular.

Shimano Deore 11-28 is £17.90+£5.95p&p - order over 50 euros, including a chain and bits e.g., would attract free p&p. I wonder if CRC, which has it, would match the price.

I am sure Deore is at a similar level to Tiagra. Actually imho all Shimano cassettes are decent, just some difference in weight and of limited implication in practice.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Shimano Deore 11-28 is £17.90+£5.95p&p - order over 50 euros, including a chain and bits e.g., would attract free p&p. I wonder if CRC, which has it, would match the price.

I am sure Deore is at a similar level to Tiagra. Actually imho all Shimano cassettes are decent, just some difference in weight and of limited implication in practice.

Nice find mate, I need to check the measurements that you mentioned earlier first, but that looks promising if I can get away with it.
Not heard of that site before, have you used it?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I got my Sram 12-26 cassette from Chain Reaction in Nov last year and it only cost £25. I have just checked and they now want £41 for the same thing WTF?

If you could use it I still have the 11-32 9 speed Sram cassette I took off which you can have for a sum to be negotiated? It was only used to ride up and down the street to see what gears I was happy setting off in before ordering a replacement.

I daren't risk a 28T as it looks likely to touch the chain on the upper jockey wheel, but I have assurances that a 27T will fit cleanly.
26T & 27T cassettes seem to be pricey compared to bigger or smaller items for some reason. Sods law.

Potsy, indeed, a 9spd Tiagra\Deore 27t cassette would be ideal (& popular) as it is the suggested max size both Tiagra & Sora should allow. I know some people manage to get away with 28T, but then again some don't
angry.gif

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
SRAM PG970 11-32 or 11-34 for £18 on CRC right now, the 11-23 version is still nearly £60...at £18 you could afford to buy a new rear mech to accomodate the larger cassette and ensure that you can take advantage of other cheaper cassette offers in the future.

Funnily enough I too have a touch of the MacBs this morning :biggrin:

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
I got my Sram 12-26 cassette from Chain Reaction in Nov last year and it only cost £25. I have just checked and they now want £41 for the same thing WTF?

If you could use it I still have the 11-32 9 speed Sram cassette I took off which you can have for a sum to be negotiated? It was only used to ride up and down the street to see what gears I was happy setting off in before ordering a replacement.

I think a 28t is pushing the limits tbh, let alone a 32t cheers anyway.

Mac- I am trying to make fitting as easy as possible so didn't really want to start messing with new mechs, but it's a good idea.( I got the e-mail from them today and got a bit excited thinking there might be an 11-28 in the offer but there isn't) I do think I only really need a 27 or 28 if that's not enough then I'm happy to walk
thumbsup.png

The search continues
biggrin.gif

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Just a thought Potsy, I also got a £10 off voucher if I spend £50+ at CRC by Monday so will be perusing to see what I need/want. But there must be a market demand of some sort here. Looking at SRAMs efforts to replace a triple with a 2x10 and now doing a road 11-32. I think the new road one is better spaced though, big jumps at the bottom, whereas older 9 speed stuff would be more spread out. I know they also have their XX compacts at 28/42 and 30/45, so I'm guessing that there's a recognition around the market with the dosh.

As you have a triple you should have the potential there to put on a larger middle, smaller inner and drop the outer ring alltogether, if need be. If nothing else you could try whacking on a 24t inner, cost you about £6, then you could get what you want and run a much closer ratio cassette.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Just a thought Potsy, I also got a £10 off voucher if I spend £50+ at CRC by Monday so will be perusing to see what I need/want. But there must be a market demand of some sort here. Looking at SRAMs efforts to replace a triple with a 2x10 and now doing a road 11-32. I think the new road one is better spaced though, big jumps at the bottom, whereas older 9 speed stuff would be more spread out. I know they also have their XX compacts at 28/42 and 30/45, so I'm guessing that there's a recognition around the market with the dosh.

As you have a triple you should have the potential there to put on a larger middle, smaller inner and drop the outer ring alltogether, if need be. If nothing else you could try whacking on a 24t inner, cost you about £6, then you could get what you want and run a much closer ratio cassette.

Potsy to answer your question I haven't tried Rose but I believe they are a large German operation intent to break into the UK market. I know a few CCers have used them and haven't heard any bad feedback. You could always call their uk enquiry number to confirm delivery schedule etc.? I would certainly not hesitate to give them a try myself, if only to create some more competition. Imho such a standard cassette, needed by so many riders as "consumables", for £40 is outrageous, but that's just me.

MacB you definitely have a touch of MacB today - which is a joy to see!
thumbsup.png
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler

Just got my voucher about 5 minutes ago, I'll defo be buying something now.
biggrin.gif

Another great MacB moment, but that sounds like it will involve me doing more work than I intended, I thought the chainrings were all one unit or is that just the cheaper ones?
I'm getting into territory I know nothing about again
biggrin.gif

I think I'll see if they will price match the Sram cassette I found for £29;99 and order my new chain as well a few more goodies
biggrin.gif

Edit- What is the difference between a 'Downhill' cassette and a normal one? CRC doing the Sram 11-26 for £28
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=57562

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 25
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 25
Top Bottom