New Cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
About to buy new drive train for my Secteur, or at least new chain and cassette, not sure if the crankset will need changing or not.
After some recent hilly rides I am contemplating changing the 12-25 cassette to a 12-26. will I really be able to tell the difference or should I be looking at 12-27?
Tiagra - £25ish
Sram- £32ish
12-27 -£?

Cheers.

Garz

Squat Member
I don't think there's much in a change to a 12-26, a 12-27 would be more noticeable so if you can go for that.

-- Also forgot to mention if you did'nt already know, Colin has started piecing together some hilly forum rides!

biggrin.gif

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
I don't think there's much in a change to a 12-26, a 12-27 would be more noticeable so if you can go for that.

-- Also forgot to mention if you did'nt already know, Colin has started piecing together some hilly forum rides!

biggrin.gif

Hence my sudden need Garz
biggrin.gif

I think the only 12-27 I can find is Ultegra, but we're looking at £45 or more, not sure it's worth it?

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 29

Garz

Squat Member
Go second hand or ask in the LBS'. LBS' have older stock or may swap stuff dependant on how helpful the owners are. Don't be afraid to barter.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Hi Potsy for Shimano or Shimano compatible cassettes there is no compatibility issue between road or mountain, so you can also choose from these e.g. in additional to "road" ones, and it seems there are cheaper options than those listed above depending on model/configuration.

If upcoming hills are a concern and if I were in the market for a new cassette and chain I would first work out what the largest rear sprocket and range (front+back) the rear mech and bike can handle, then use a calculator to examine resulting ratios based on cassettes that are within those ranges and are available at an acceptable price, just a thought.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Good stuff RAFN, I have it in my head that 27t would be about the limit on my Tiagra mech, and am hoping to make it as easy to change as possible, maybe just a slightly longer chain?
thumbsup.png

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
If you have a 25T at present, the gap between the largest cog and the top pulley in mm divided by 2 is roughly the number of extra teeth the largest cog your mech/frame can handle (adjustable somewhat by the mech's B screw). The other limit is wrap range, which is dependent on the cage length of the rear mech etc.

shunty

Problem with buying a granny ring is you might end up needing a new front mech too.

I lurv my 12-27 - I have quite happily risen above the derision of not being 'ard enough for a 12-25 :-)
and only minor tweaking to the rear mech required to get it to work flawlessly.

I doubt a 26 would be as beneficial.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Problem with buying a granny ring is you might end up needing a new front mech too.

I lurv my 12-27 - I have quite happily risen above the derision of not being 'ard enough for a 12-25 :-)
and only minor tweaking to the rear mech required to get it to work flawlessly.

I doubt a 26 would be as beneficial.

mmm interesting, i didn't know that. why is that? is it due to the cage size?

Top Bottom