New chain and cassette jumping?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DWiggy

Über Member
Hi Guys,

I have installed a new Ultregra 10 speed chain and a replacement cassette also 10 speed to my bike, all working fine apart from when in the larger cogs at the back it can jump like the chain is slipping?

I changed from a 11-28 to a 11-25 but re-cut the chain to match chain that was removed as it worked fine before and coped fine with 25, do I need to shorten the chain? Also would I need to adjust the B screw?

Any ideas would be helpful ?

Define jump. Does it skate over the top of the sprocket teeth or does it vacillate between sprockets?

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
Define jump. Does it skate over the top of the sprocket teeth or does it vacillate between sprockets?
Good question, it does feel like its slipping over the teeth will try and check as it could very well be jumping up onto the next cog, I didn't re index the gears as it was working fine in the stand?

adscrim

Veteran
How long had the chain been on? If the front chainrings were also worn a new chain might now be skipping/slipping over them.

OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
I will check tonight to see if it's jumping up to the bigger sizes cog if so I guess it's probably needs either re-indexing or the inner and outer cables need changing as sticking.

...very strange as everything was fine before (the spacers are the same) I thought it might be something to do with the B screw? (if that's what you call it)

Last edited:
Top Bottom