New chainring time..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I think it's time to pop a new chainring on this but I am having trouble making sure I obtain the correct one. My chain's slipping again despite being within 0.5 and 0.75 on the wear detector, and on a new cassette too. A new chain is on order.

It's an 8-speed Claris transmission with an FSA Tempo triple chainset. The BCD is 130mm and the big chainring has 50 teeth.

Any tips for getting the correct chainring please ?

Attachments

• IMG_20200127_191516084_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20200127_191516084_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 18

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
It's an 8-speed Claris transmission with an FSA Tempo triple chainset. The BCD is 130mm and the big chainring has 50 teeth.

The only other thing you need is the amount of fixing/mounting bolts it has.
So 8 speed, 50 tooth, 130 BCD & (X) bolts.
You 'can' match it by getting an FSA brand but other's will fit.

HTH

andrew_s

Legendary Member
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s210p3387/SPA-CYCLES-130-BCD-Zicral-Outer

Stronglight Zicral is similar but costs more; Stronglight Dural is a bit cheaper, but quicker wearing.

A possible minor advantage of Stronglight is that if you've a chainset with one of the 5 bolts hidden behind the crank arm, the anti-drop pin on the outer is screw in and can be put in two locations, so it can do its job and stop the chain getting stuck between crank and outer chainring in the event of shifting mishap. Most other brands have a fixed location pin that assumes the crank is between bolts.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I would wait and try the new chain first before you change the chain ring.

Thanks - Do you think those teeth have more life in them ? I'm not sure..

Sharky

Guru
Bradley Wiggins was having similar problems once, so took it back to the team mechanic.

The mechanic took one look and said "Sorry, but I can't let a knight like you out on a cog like this."

Now you can all *groan* ...

Ajax Bay

Guru
I think it's time to pop a new chainring on this but I am having trouble making sure I obtain the correct one. My chain's slipping again despite being within 0.5 and 0.75 on the wear detector, and on a new cassette too. A new chain is on order.
I would wait and try the new chain first before you change the chain ring.
This ^^^. It's very likely your chain is slipping because you've fitted a new cassette yet continued to use a used chain, one already worn to 0.5-0.7%. It's much more likely this than the chainring.
Answering the question: I'd go to Spa Cycles too/first: looks like £27 for a 130 BCD, 5 tooth ring.

Top Bottom