New Chainset, terrible noise! (Video Included)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Third time I've suggested this - get out on the bike for a couple of two-hour (or more) rides. See if the noise is still there. It is literally the only thing you haven't actually tried yet.

There is a chance that that could solve the problem. ....

The only rotating part that is not fixed is the BB.

If the problem was with the outer chainring needeing wearing in then it is too much of a coincidence that the problem also occurs with the middle chainring.

I'm beginning to suspect the axle or BB. Something is altering the chainset alignment, enough for the chain to struggle to stay on the chainring when that happens. If I had to pick one then I'd pick the BB.
I've noticed similar effect when truing a wheel with dodgy bearings.... where the wheel is perfectly true but every few revolutions the wheel touches the truing stand.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
@nulleth , do you still have your old cassette?
Can you swap out your new cassette for the old one and see if you still have the same issue or alternatively can you swap the chain wheels for the old set again to see if the noise persists. I am thinking is the new cassette not seating properly or perhaps it is the chainwheels that are not seating properly on the bb,worth a shot to see if it makes a difference.

Edit; Looks like @Spoked Wheels is thinking along the same lines

OP
OP
N

nulleth

@nulleth , do you still have your old cassette?
Can you swap out your new cassette for the old one and see if you still have the same issue or alternatively can you swap the chain wheels for the old set again to see if the noise persists. I am thinking is the new cassette not seating properly or perhaps it is the chainwheels that are not seating properly on the bb,worth a shot to see if it makes a difference.

Edit; Looks like @Spoked Wheels is thinking along the same lines

Sorry, I don't quite follow. You say cassette, but I haven't actually changed the cassette. It's still original.
I have actually tried an entirely different cassette and wheel on the back, the noise continued.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Sorry, I don't quite follow. You say cassette, but I haven't actually changed the cassette. It's still original.
I have actually tried an entirely different cassette and wheel on the back, the noise continued.

sorry my bad, i must have missed that, i thought you had changed the entire drive train. So all the noise points to the bb or chain wheels , is it possible the chainwheels are not seated far enough onto the bb shaft meaning the chainline would be out of alignment?

the snail

Guru
Seems like something is going on at the rear derailleur - like the arm is moving forwards then snapping back - maybe jockey wheel problem, perhaps fitted wrong way round?

OP
OP
N

nulleth

Seems like something is going on at the rear derailleur - like the arm is moving forwards then snapping back - maybe jockey wheel problem, perhaps fitted wrong way round?

No, that's not it at all I'm afraid. The gear change noise was just an issue. It's the noise associated with the normal rotation.

OP
OP
N

nulleth

sorry my bad, i must have missed that, i thought you had changed the entire drive train. So all the noise points to the bb or chain wheels , is it possible the chainwheels are not seated far enough onto the bb shaft meaning the chainline would be out of alignment?

This was my thought, I even considered switching from 70mm BB to a 68mm BB.
However...

Large Chainring, Smallest Rear Cog = Worse Noise.
Small Chainring, Largest Rear Cog = Worse Noise.
If the front end was too far in, or too far out, only one of those would be bad, surely?

OP
OP
N

nulleth

Strange. Increasing the chain tension this much, actually stops the noise somewhat.
http://i.imgur.com/2kwduiO.jpg

However, manually pulling on the derailleur to increase tension, doesn't help.
So I'm probably just twisting, pulling or bending the chain into a place where the chainrings don't make the noise.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
This was my thought, I even considered switching from 70mm BB to a 68mm BB.
However...

Large Chainring, Smallest Rear Cog = Worse Noise.
Small Chainring, Largest Rear Cog = Worse Noise.
If the front end was too far in, or too far out, only one of those would be bad, surely?

You would have thought so, just a thought did you measure the new chain against the old one? I know it sounds a bit drastic but could you remove three or four links from the chain to see if that cures the noise problem, a sloppy chain could well be causing the noise.

OP
OP
N

nulleth

I'm no expert, but shouldn't his have a 68mm English thread BB - have you fitted the wrong (70mm) BB which is causing the noise?
Noise was there on a square taper bracket before I changed over.

Also, the distance between the middle of the downtube (seat tube) and the chainring is 44.5 - 45mm. Which is close, and consistent with Sheldon Brown's estimates for Shimano setups.

dddd

Regular
Ride the bloody bike, break in the chain and chainrings together, takes some force and of useful duration.

I'm near sure that Citius was right, back in the beginning.

If the weather is really bad it may break in a bit faster, so no excuses now. These chainrings are what they are and just need some road time to play nice with the already broken-in chain.

Top Bottom