New Coast to Coast route - The Way of the Roses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Langsett

Hi,

I rode the route on Saturday and it is a fantastic ride.

I have posted to Garmin Connect and also loaded maps onto map my ride when planning it.

On Saturday i deviated slightly at the start as it was dark and raining so at 0530 I stuck to the main road and saw little traffic.

I missed the turning in Wray and so went through Bentham to Clapham . In York the busy road and arrogant bus driver ( beware coachliner buses ) meant i missed the turn for the cycle track but not by much.

I didn't follow the sections which weren't tarmac but they are few on this route.

Great cafes on the way, fantastic scenery going out of Settle as the sun started to come out and very welcoming staff at Fountain's Abbey.

One i'll no doubt do again

Cheers

Fiona N

Veteran
I thought this looked like a good route when there was a preview in one or other of the cycling mags recently. I may break out the mudguards and risk an October tour :tongue: if it looks like there'll be a dry(-ish) weekend.

Garz

Squat Member
Hi,

Anyone got a GPX file (or similar) for the entire official route please?

(perhaps stick it in the downloads section on this site!)

Many thanks

Garz said:
Looking forward to a CC'er review or someone to add a gpx route as this is definitely one to pencil in.

Did you not read the above?

:biggrin:

wave.gif

In before 400bhp erupts.
wink.gif

Garz

Squat Member
Exactly but oh well..
thumbsup.png

Langsett

We must have been following you. We got to Settle about 9:30 and into Ripon around 1:30 IIRC. What about you?

Ah, you had the joy of a lie in I assume?

0530 start in wind and rain ( and dark!)
0730 Settle, coffee machine out of action in filling station
about 1030 Fountains Abbey Visitor centre cafe
1230 ish through Boroughbridge , no sign of their official party nor any cyclists
1430 pocklington service station
1730 pub at Brid and gentle ride to sea front in down pour with york group

collapse and eat fish and chips!

Bigsharn

Veteran
In York the busy road and arrogant bus driver ( beware coachliner buses ) meant i missed the turn for the cycle track but not by much.

*Coastliner :smile:

Anything with the words "Transdev" or "First" are to be avoided at all costs, the out-of-town drivers are all cool but the in-city drivers seem to be peanuts for some reason (except the tour people, they're ace)

In honesty routing it through York is a bad idea, for the plain and simple reason that York has more buses than it does people (or it seems that way) and York's just too small a city for that many...

As a deviation I'd take the outer ring road

Though looking at the official route you should only have had to put up with Coastliner drivers for half a mile, were they really THAT bad? XD

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
At talk of a new route I was quite interested in this and I had a look at the map in detail and someone correct me if I'm wrong but there's not 'new' bits of route at all it's just propaganda about existing routes that have been there for some considerable time. It is just Route 69 to Settle + Route 68 to Winterburn + Route 688 to just outside York + Route 65 in York + Route 66 to the Wolds + Route 1 to Bridlington. All this can be seen very clearly on the opencyclemap.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
At talk of a new route I was quite interested in this and I had a look at the map in detail and someone correct me if I'm wrong but there's not 'new' bits of route at all it's just propaganda about existing routes that have been there for some considerable time. It is just Route 69 to Settle + Route 68 to Winterburn + Route 688 to just outside York + Route 65 in York + Route 66 to the Wolds + Route 1 to Bridlington. All this can be seen very clearly on the opencyclemap.
Off-road routes can be created where no route existed before - for example, the Mary Towneley Loop. Road routes are a different kettle of fish though, aren't they? They necessarily go along public roads so you could cobble together any sort of route and call it what you like. See PaulB's post above, for instance. There is no such thing as a 'new' road route unless someone builds new roads for it! 

Top Bottom