New company in Portugal aims to break dominance of Far Eastern manufacturers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I cannot see them competing solely on cost, so it will have to appeal to the 'not made in the far east' consumer or concentrate on small runs rather than big batches.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Cant seem to find a single bike for sale via google as of yet either. Their website just has a host of partner company logos?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-05-06-15-56-05-02_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-05-06-15-56-05-02_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 4
10 frames a day over perhaps 250 working days a year is only currently 2,500 frames so ambitions of 110,000 per year is huge and perhaps unrealistic. Labour costs in Europe are very high compared to the cheaper countries in Asia. Yes China is more expensive now but other countries there have more competitive labour rates. Also just because its manufactured in Europe doesn't mean it goes automatically to the top in quality. Taiwan has been manufacturing CF frames a long time and has the skills and technology to do it well. It's a learning process that takes time. When I saw a statistic online back along it said over 95% of all bikes manufactured in the world were steel and obviously thats because in many poorer countries bicycles are essential transport and across Africa, Asia, South America they are extremely price sensitive but even in Europe the average price of bikes sold is quite low. I think in the UK it was only a year back the average was about £380 and that included ebikes. I don't know what percentage of bikes sold are CF but its going to be very low even in European countries. When I pass a bike rack its rare to see a CF bike in it. Yes I realise CF bikes may be more sunday group rides etc and there are differences of when such bikes are used.

Anyway my point is the bike market for CF bikes is not that large. Ebay, Argos, Amazon rarely seem to have new CF bikes to sell and they are a huge chunk of the market for bike retailers. More bikes are sold at Halfords than the whole local independent bike shop sector although admittedly Halfords do some CF bikes in the Boardman range. I always have a nose in Halfords if I'm at a retail park with a Halfords just to see what they have and I rarely see any interest in Boardman bikes and there aren't many held in stock as far as I can tell. Carrera models dominate with many more cheaper brands making up the numbers.

You can get a false perspective looking at GCN videos or similar. They are sponsored by high end brands who clearly want to push their expensive bikes.

I have quite a few bikes but no CF bikes at all and not even any bikes with CF forks except I have a older Cannondale aluminium frame with a CF blade/aluminium steerer bonded fork. I think I may have a CF stem somewhere in the spares box.

I would estimate CF bikes sold in the UK are less than 2% perhaps a lot less.

Looking at Amazon best sellers in bikes its all steel and aluminium and some some seriously weird stuff. It seems no one wants to sell CF bikes via Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Selle.../550026011/ref=zg_bs_pg_1?_encoding=UTF8&pg=1

Sallar55

Veteran
High end CF frames, you could say that it's just an update of custom steel frames. What % of bikes were custom in the 80/90ies I would say not many. Expensive and a long wait if from a good builder.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm sure the impetus to get the plant started was due to constant badgering from @SkipdiverJohn , but then I could be wrong about that.

DRM

Guru
The whole thing smacks of something from the apprentice , how on earth is anyone making just a handful of frames going to compete with the Far Eastern factories, they’re going to be overpriced, with no history in cycling, so not in any way desirable, if anything they need to sponsor a pro team, get some wins and take it from there, as for providing cheap carbon fibre frames, that ship sailed long ago from Taiwan

The whole thing smacks of something from the apprentice , how on earth is anyone making just a handful of frames going to compete with the Far Eastern factories, they’re going to be overpriced, with no history in cycling, so not in any way desirable, if anything they need to sponsor a pro team, get some wins and take it from there, as for providing cheap carbon fibre frames, that ship sailed long ago from Taiwan

There are Taiwanese investors involved. It will help address the Europhile in some of us and cut down on delivery cost.

DRM

Guru
As I say, no heritage, not desirable, adds up to no sales, they can't compete with the likes of Colnago, Pinarello or Bianchi when it comes to a purchase of an expensive frame

Falsesummat

I wish them well. There's a lot of negativity on this subject. Taiwan may well be the first place one would think of to source quality carbon fibre bike frames and I acknowledge they have long experience in this field. However, we shouldn't just accept that will always be the case, and perhaps we should applaud this new venture.
This subject reminds me of European motorcycle manufacturers in the 1960s and 70s producing obsolete machines, the Japanese capitalised on this by producing cheaper , arguably better machines. Nowadays retro, heritage etc are buzzwords. There are many European motorcycle manufacturers now capitalising on this, and there are plenty of europhiles out there with deep pockets only too happy to buy a bicycle with provenance attached.

Top Bottom