New CX frame and questions!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tim O'Reilly

Tim O'Reilly

Out of interest, why did you go withe the MTB mech?

Frame looks nice!
Hi Howard,
I was going for the standard 28-11 cassette combo, but a few mates talk my into the 34-11 with a MBT rear mech. If it gets to the point that I don't require the 34 gearing then possibly a change, but let's see how I go. I do ride a lot of very steep tracks and other mates don't do it on their CX bikes but I do on a rigid 29er with a 1 x 10 gearing with 36 at front and a 36-11 back. I suppose I'm still a mountain biker at heart, but let us see!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Having taken my Specialized tricross (not a real crosser, more cross-purpose) out on a MTB club night ride I can tell you that on standard road compact gearing you would be romping up the hills that they are plodding up; mostly because of your lighter weight but also because your stiff and efficient rear triangle will make getting out of the saddle worthwhile.

Howard

Fair enough. Maybe run it 1*10 with a 39 tooth ring. If you need more than 39/34 then just shoulder the bike and run!

OP
OP
Tim O'Reilly

Tim O'Reilly

99% finished, just the usual finishing touches to sort out after the first ride.
8374248244_48d139fa86_b.jpg
8373171853_dc7c590a3b_b.jpg
8374246102_3ed791ae66_b.jpg
8374246824_88c5c5700a_b.jpg
8373173969_b31f275541_b.jpg
8374248904_d81eb8f315_b.jpg
8373171155_0e92d145b2_b.jpg
8373176231_e8124ee70a_b.jpg
8374244138_db719770bd_b.jpg

OP
OP
Tim O'Reilly

Tim O'Reilly

It was never built to be a super light bike but something that could take some hard work! I did weigh it at the LBS and it comes in at just over 21 lb's. I'll running it with quite heavy tyres at the moment but I have some light CX pro's to put on at a later time. That will lose me 1 lb.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Thats a sweet lookin bike fella, :bravo: If I may be rude and to the point, what was the bottom figure on the purchases list Dribbling over those wheel hubs BTW

OP
OP
Tim O'Reilly

Tim O'Reilly

Well, I wasn't over impressed with the brakes so I saved my pennies! I'll let you know what they are like after they bed in.
Here they are!
8518842276_b08eabed59_b.jpg

8518841066_e711b07844_b.jpg

8517730167_36c99e361e_b.jpg

Christopher

Über Member
hi Tim
Very nice! But please let us know what you think of those Hope hydros, as I have a frame + forks like yours that will take discs but it isn't built. I have seen them used in CX racing but hand't a chance to speak to the riders using them.

OP
OP
Tim O'Reilly

Tim O'Reilly

Looking good, what are the weight of the wheels?
Hi,
The wheels weigh around 1750g for the pair. The Open Pro rims weigh around 400 grams each so they are not the lightest but they will allow me several choices of tyres to suit my needs from 23mm road to a nice chunky off road tyre around 38mm.

OP
OP
Tim O'Reilly

Tim O'Reilly

hi Tim
Very nice! But please let us know what you think of those Hope hydros, as I have a frame + forks like yours that will take discs but it isn't built. I have seen them used in CX racing but hand't a chance to speak to the riders using them.
Just back in from my first ride with the V-Twins and they are just about starting to bite nicely. At first they didn't seem any better than the cable disc brakes but they are! The rear wheel has started to lock up if you give it too much so that's a good sign. I'll let you know after tomorrow's ride of any improvement.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Many thanks for posting these pictures; it really is a gorgeous looking bike.

I'm grateful because I was in the LBS on Saturday to discuss some new wheels. I've opted for the Hope hubs and rotors that you've got. I asked for red although I was worried that they might be too bling.
Your pictures show that they won't be.
I need to remember to ask for red quick releases as well !

Top Bottom