New CX frame and questions!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

Just back in from my first ride with the V-Twins and they are just about starting to bite nicely. At first they didn't seem any better than the cable disc brakes but they are! The rear wheel has started to lock up if you give it too much so that's a good sign. I'll let you know after tomorrow's ride of any improvement.

Might be worth running a V-brake noodle into the V-twin unit - smooths the crazy cable bend and reduces compression.

OP
OP
Tim O'Reilly

Tim O'Reilly

Might be worth running a V-brake noodle into the V-twin unit - smooths the crazy cable bend and reduces compression.
Hi Howard,

Funny you say that because I've re routed and replaced the inner cables tonight because I wasn't happy with the hard feeling when braking from the brake lever. I even put the larger spacer onto the 105 shifter to try and give me a larger handful of lever from riding on the hoods. Braking from lower down is not a problem but you hardly ride that low anyway. I unwrapped the bar tape and have tried to slacken the cable to give a lighter feel. I think I have improved it slightly but I like the sound of your suggestion. How would you do it and would you try some of that expensive Gore outer cable to reduce the resistance?

What do you think?

Thanks Howard

OP
OP
Tim O'Reilly

Tim O'Reilly

Many thanks for posting these pictures; it really is a gorgeous looking bike.

I'm grateful because I was in the LBS on Saturday to discuss some new wheels. I've opted for the Hope hubs and rotors that you've got. I asked for red although I was worried that they might be too bling.
Your pictures show that they won't be.
I need to remember to ask for red quick releases as well !

What rims have you gone for?

OP
OP
Tim O'Reilly

Tim O'Reilly

Well,
I have again re routed the brake cable but this time I have used 90 degree noodles and decent XTR outer cable I had. The resistance is definitely better from doing this. I've been out again riding and braking hard and they are now biting well. The front will even lift the back end so the power is getting there and I'm confident that it will even improve after it picks up some dirt and muck. The feeling from the brake lever is still something that you have to get used to. It's not a cable or a full hydraulic brake system so the pulling on and the release/return of the brake lever is not crisp. I suppose you are relying on the pistons in the V Twin in controlling this action on the levers!
Regards,

Tim.

Christopher

Über Member
Cheers Tim! Interesting post - my sister's mtb has full hydraulic discs and they are lovely brakes and don't have the release problem you describe - although it's far too easy to displace the pistons whent he wheels are off. Think I might hold off on the hydraulics for the moment.

OP
OP
Tim O'Reilly

Tim O'Reilly

Cheers Tim! Interesting post - my sister's mtb has full hydraulic discs and they are lovely brakes and don't have the release problem you describe - although it's far too easy to displace the pistons whent he wheels are off. Think I might hold off on the hydraulics for the moment.
Chris, Don't let me put you off the Hope V Twin's because I haven't heard a bad thing so far about them. As I said, it's something different from the conventional hydraulic mountain bike brake that I am used to, so yes, it has been a learning curve for me but I am getting my head around the feeling of them now.

OP
OP
Tim O'Reilly

Tim O'Reilly

Finally, 100% happy now with the Hope brakes and the cable routing.
Here it is!
8542424720_d398fa3d9c_k.jpg

TeeNoM

Can I ask how much this lot set you back in total?
Maybe if you wouldn't mind, could you post a complete spec list.

Cheers

OP
OP
Tim O'Reilly

Tim O'Reilly

FRAMESET. Kinesis Pro 6
SADDLE,STEM,BARS AND SEATPOST. Planet X
DRIVE. Shimano 105 sti's, Shimano cx70 front mech, Shimano xt 9 speed rear mech, 10 speed xt cassette 34-11 and Sram compact 34/50 crank.
BRAKES. Hope V Twin's with Hope red floating rotors.
WHEELS. Mavic Open Pro rims 36 hole built onto Hope Red Evo Pro 2 hubs with red skewers. (locally built).

Moss

Nice CX Bike; did a good job on the build! Must have cost you a fortune in mind changing on what parts to put on? take off? replace.Etc...

Top Bottom