(NEW) Cycling Lockdown Rules?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
The bit about the hour for exercise wasn’t even in the guidance, let alone a rule. It was an off the cuff opinion of Michael Gove of what he reckoned was about right. It was nothing more than that.
I work in Engineering and the only words which count are "must","shall" and "will".

"Should", "Best practice" and "It is advised that.." literally have no meaning in law.

So far, the only rule we have is that you must wear a face covering unless you have a valid reason not to wear a face covering (for which there is no definition of either the face covering or the valid reason not to wear one).

Bit of a shambles really..

A guy I work with goes running every day and posts his Strava stuff on Facebook along with pictures of him and his missus painting the front of their house complete with house name in the foreground.

His FB profile is public so any random stranger can see exactly which road he starts and finishes his run and they also have a photo showing which house it is.

He also posts when he goes on holiday (USA for three weeks last year).

I've a good mind to burgle his house myself, just to teach him a lesson.
i think there's a new thread in stuff folks foolishly make publicly available.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I had a plastic water bottle thrown at me in a small village (3 miles from my house) at the peak of that anti-cycling zeitgeist where all the Royston Vasey types were convinced it was cyclists spreading the virus by cycling through their village while having the gall to breathe out. Thankfully that was it, and that mindset eased quite quickly.

Since March I've regularly taken my bike on (largely empty) mid-morning trains to various points 35-50 miles from home and then cycled back, and I'll carry on doing that. I also walk 5 miles a day most days and I hardly see a soul now the weather is wetter.. I don't interact with anyone really. Meanwhile, Wetherspoons is packed and the yummy Mummies are all still meeting up for coffee mornings and play dates, so my conscience is very clear. I don't care what the next cycling guidance is from this sh1t show of a Government, I'll do what I know is safe for everyone and for me, and I know I'll never be morally in the wrong, or prosecuted.

Last edited:

Lovacott

Über Member
i think there's a new thread in stuff folks foolishly make publicly available.
It all depends on how many clues you are prepared to give away.

And it all depends on whether or not you are a copper setting some kind of elaborate trap.

So complex.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Right the way through this thing, anyone could have broken the rules without fear of prosecution. I could have gone out on my bike during the first lockdown for much longer than the permitted hour every day and nobody would have known. We are lucky to live in a country where we are generally trusted to do the right thing and the vast majority of us do.

Not sure which part of UK you are in, but, in England, this was never a rule, the rule was one period of exercise per day.

No time or distance were specified.

Not sure that any of it was actually enforceable anyway.

Last edited:
A friend of mine, who normally cycles very long rides, went for the longest circular ride he could round the boundary of the Cardiff restricted area last Sunday. He measured it as 58 km, a mix of trail and road. Not very inspiring, especially the last few miles coming into the Cardiff Bay area through the heavily industrialised/scrap metal dealer area after the Newport/Cardiff coast road.

I must admit that my rides now take me along the coast slightly into the Vale of Glamorgan area (also restricted). :ph34r:

Lovacott

Über Member
Not sure which part of UK you are in, but, in England, this was never a rule, the rule was one period of exercise per day.
No time or distance were specified.

Can you link to the post where I said it was a rule?

As far as I know I am not allowed to cycle from Chester to Flintshire or Wrexham and back?
Official rules from Welsh Government:
Cycling is allowed but you must cycle within the boundary of Wrexham County Borough Council. Cycling in groups larger than 30 people is not allowed, regardless of whether social distancing practices are followed. Cycling to work, or for work, is allowed, if you can’t work from home
Is this everyones understanding?
Glad I made the most of it a few weeks back then :okay:
View attachment 550128
View attachment 550129

Lovely photos. You are allowed to drive through Wales so I don't see why we shouldn't be allowed to cycle through ? No stopping at cafes obviously.

The Greenway is one of the safest ways to get out of the Wirral but that involves going into Wales slightly. I think it's a risk worth taking.

I did see that public transport should only be used for going to work or essential journeys. Not to help with cycling adventures. I wouldn't be using trains unless I had to.

Lovacott

Über Member
"the permitted hour every day" which you posted in flaming blood above.?
(OK - may have been bold).

What I said was (and none of it was in bold or red) "I could have gone out on my bike during the first lockdown for much longer than the permitted hour every day and nobody would have known."

I never said anything about it being a law or a rule, I was trying to demonstrate the opposite.

The fact that someone else decided to selectively quote me and put the words in bold text, does not alter that fact.

The vast majority of the anti covid "rules" are nothing more than guidance, There is no law stating that we have to stay 2 metres apart, there is no law saying that we must sing happy birthday twice whilst we wash our hands. Shaking hands is not an arrestable offence etc. etc.

If I wanted to have a row with anybody, I'd start a conversation with one of my teenage kids. I come on here to get away from that sort of thing. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom