New cycling show C4/All4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm looking forward to the second show with Grayson Perry, partly because he always comes across as likeable, but mainly because some of the preview bits I have seen are round an area I have cycled a lot in the Brecon Beacons.

I suspect the shows will be more about the opportunity for chat and anecdotes between the presenter and guests but anything that shows how cycling can be fun has got to be good news.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Really great show. Like a funnier version of the group rides I go on, pootling around to see interesting stuff, but in better weather than we currently have. A great tonic for these winter months that might encourage some new year resolutioners.

mjr

Another advantage of Along for the Ride over 5's Britain By Bike is it seemed like all the stuff O'Doherty and Ayoade did was stuff we could do too, not special arrangement stunts like a group of canoe yodellers who just happened to be meeting where the cycleway passes a lake or whatever else the Lambs encountered.

Although why you would want to glamp near the sweary owl... Not sure they sold that one well!

yello

But the cycling is a mechanism, not really the point of the show.
I might (try) and give it a watch then. I like that kind of device, a number of shows use it, often cooking ones as I think about it. They'll cook a dish (for instance) but spend most of the show talking to the various producers of ingredients etc.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The thing about cycling on the telly is that it's a bit dull. While it's fantastic to ride along yourself, watching someone else do it is pretty poor TV, so it needs some added interest. This means these programs are all about people stopping and visiting the local pig farm, or something. Then they wave goodbye to the pig farmer, there's a 5 second shot of them riding down the road, and cut to them arriving at the donkey sanctuary.

The thing about cycling on the telly is that it's a bit dull. While it's fantastic to ride along yourself, watching someone else do it is pretty poor TV, so it needs some added interest. This means these programs are all about people stopping and visiting the local pig farm, or something. Then they wave goodbye to the pig farmer, there's a 5 second shot of them riding down the road, and cut to them arriving at the donkey sanctuary.
Not sure it has to be like that - though agree it's a common approach - used by the blasted Portillo.
Let's just be thankful that the prog isn't fronted by him.

Last edited:

mjr

There was a bit more riding than that shown, but good bike rides are really about the stopping as much as the riding anyway.

3 minutes of footage out of farking melody pops was pushing it, though!

His bike shed looked bloody impressive!
Mmm, and he had what appeared to be a nice-looking San Marco Rolls saddle there...

mjr

That critic seems to suggest that it would benefit from "meeting historians and quirky local enthusiasts". Maybe he's one who doesn't find the very contrived stunts of Britain By Bike intensely irritating?

No, it's probably not going to make any stunning revelations or philosophical points, but being "simple pleasures – exercise, the great outdoors, intermittently amusing badinage" is good enough for me!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
critic seems to suggest that it would benefit from "meeting historians and quirky local enthusiasts".
That's the kind of Portillo-esque stuff I was referring to above. So according to that review it doesn't have enough, eh? I might watch it.

Edit. I've just realised who David O’Doherty is. He gets on my wick. I won't be watching it.

That's the kind of Portillo-esque stuff I was referring to above. So according to that review it doesn't have enough, eh? I might watch it.

Edit. I've just realised who David O’Doherty is. He gets on my wick. I won't be watching it.
LOL... never heard of him. I think the guests are the thing putting me off ..... now if he was cycling around Milton Keynes with Lance Armstrong ....

presta

Guru
I watched Larry and George Lamb cycling around the UK and it was an easy watch
My appetite for watching him has waned a bit since he was on the program where celebs tried a taster of being homeless and sleeping on the streets. He just sulked about being cold and hungry, then checked into a hotel. I'm sure there are plenty of others who wouldn't want to try it either, but then why agree to be on a program where that's the whole point?

Top Bottom