New cycling show C4/All4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
LOL... never heard of him. I think the guests are the thing putting me off ..... now if he was cycling around Milton Keynes with Lance Armstrong ....

Now THAT would be far more interesting. Someone from the world of cycling and not necessarily a racing cyclist, but a person who does know their stuff and not just some minor celeb who only happens to be an enthusiastic cyclist while it is a fashionable thing to be.

Now THAT would be far more interesting. Someone from the world of cycling and not necessarily a racing cyclist, but a person who does know their stuff and not just some minor celeb who only happens to be an enthusiastic cyclist while it is a fashionable thing to be.
Has it ever been fashionable to be a cyclist? DoD has been into cycling since the 80s. He's a comedian - and so entertaining to watch.

Liked the route and the show itself. Ayoade's kit matching was impressive too.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sorry, but Lance is now a minor celeb who only happened to be an enthusiastic cyclist while it was a fashionable thing to be. He's been expelled from the world of cycling for naughtiness.

I doubt that the series has been made just for the cyclist audience, if it was there would be limited viewer appeal and it would probably not have been made in the first place.

I am a cycling geek and would like to see more about the bikes and the riding, but others like my wife, kids, friends and wider family would switch off in droves. Even among those who cycle many are not interested in the bike itself, or the technical or sporting side, but just see it as a utilitarian means of daily transport, which is great in itself.

As long as it shows how pleasurable, inclusive and sociable, cycling can be I have no complaints at all about the programmes. :smile:

. Ayoade's kit matching was impressive too.
haven't watched it apart from the very first bit - too careful kit matching puts me off to be honest. Veering into ponce territory. Reminds me of the bloke I saw at Kings Cross once with an entire set-up, every single item of clothing, bike and entire bikepacking set-up perfectly co-ordinated. Or maybe he was touting for premium trade (Kings Cross has history) from modern-day cycling fetishists.

yello

I like that kind of device, a number of shows use it, often cooking ones as I think about it. They'll cook a dish (for instance) but spend most of the show talking to the various producers of ingredients etc.

This means these programs are all about people stopping and visiting the local pig farm, or something. Then they wave goodbye to the pig farmer, there's a 5 second shot of them riding down the road, and cut to them arriving at the donkey sanctuary.

I'm watching something like that on French tele at the moment, 'Des trains pas comme les autres'. In principle, it's about trains - mainly regional. In practice, it's a program about the towns and villages that these trains serve, the people that catch these trains (and why) and their daily lives. We're in Chile at the moment and it makes for interesting, sometimes fascinating, viewing.

Twilkes

Guru
TV is so last century - if it's not enough about the biking then Matt Stephens Cafe Rides on Youtube might suit, or GCN+ has some great content, at least a dozen of their films are a must watch including anything with Jenny Graham in it, the best 'travel' presenter they have.

GuyBoden

Guru
I think that Richard Ayoade is amusing in an odd way, he was also much fitter than David O'Doherty, who seemed to struggle on any incline.

David O'Doherty seemed to be riding a 1989 Raleigh Club, which were only available as frames.

This was episode 1 with David O'Doherty and actor Richard Ayoade.

These:
Raleigh Club Frame.png

0_David-OD-The-Ride.jpg

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think that Richard Ayoade is amusing in an odd way, he was also much fitter than David O'Doherty, who seemed to struggle on any incline.

David O'Doherty seemed to be riding a 1989 Raleigh Club, which were only available as frames.

These:
View attachment 619944

View attachment 619945
Yes it looked rather nice

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Watched tonights show with Grayson Perry. Oh, by that I mean Grayson on the show not me and him sat on my sofa watching the tv!
Much, much better. I like Grayson a lot and now I know he`s a cyclist too I like him more!
I've never heard of Grayson Perry, but I'll watch the episode later on catch-up. I enjoyed the one with Richard Ayoade and his matching kit.

I watched the show last night and really enjoyed. Partly because of the chat between the two, but mainly because it covered a lot of my favourite rides in the Beacons.

Something that interested me was the way the scenes were cut together so that conversations started on one stretch of the road then continued along an earlier stretch of that same route. It probably often happens a lot but unless you know the area of filming you would never think about it.

Nice to see them riding on non-flashy bikes, especially Perry's old 26" mtb.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
O'Doherty switched to vintage Bianchi for this weeks episode with Mel G, and bizarrely tried to ride it through a stream, when there was perfectly good stepping stones...

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I watched the show last night and really enjoyed. Partly because of the chat between the two, but mainly because it covered a lot of my favourite rides in the Beacons.

Something that interested me was the way the scenes were cut together so that conversations started on one stretch of the road then continued along an earlier stretch of that same route. It probably often happens a lot but unless you know the area of filming you would never think about it.

Nice to see them riding on non-flashy bikes, especially Perry's old 26" mtb.
I suspect that, if he really enjoys cycling as much as he says he does, that there is something better in Grayson Perry's shed than a very old steel Specialized Mountain bike.

I'm enjoying the series a lot. From the first two programs, it's definitely not about the bike. But it IS about cycling. The daft conversations seem rather similar to those my son and I would have. And we also get to hear a lot more about the people than we normally would. Whether it is the cycling that helps, or David O'Doherty, I'm not sure. But big kudos to him for the fact he still has his bike from his young years.

Alex321

Veteran

Yes, that got me on the Grayson Perry episode too. They start by the railway, then are having a conversation about 3-4 miles away by the 2nd (upper) part of the Pontsticill reservoir, then suddenly are back outside the railway building, while still having the same conversation.

It also seemed a little odd that they were filmed riding across the top end of the lower Pontsticill reservoir that leads to Dolygaer, when the road to Talybont branches off a few hundred yards before that :smile:

I know those roads very well, as I lived about a mile from Ponsticill village for 20 years until December 2019.

Top Bottom