New cyclist, concerned about lycra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ManxJason

Regular
Hello all, first post here as a complete newbie to the cycling world.

After having my arms twisted by a few people at work, I'm collecting my first ever road bike on Sunday. It's a Trek 1.2, shimano groupset, new wheels etc.

My colleague has given me some Lycra to try. It includes a rather expensive bib-shorts and jersey. I'm quite comfortable with the shorts as I have a decent bum and solid legs. The jersey however, I feel a little self-conscious about. I've got a bit of a belly on me you see. 5ft 11 and weighing 15.5st.

The jersey is a bit of a hugger, and when i say a bit, i mean skin tight. I mean it fits, but it moulds itself to every bit of myself.

My missus had a laugh at first but reassures me I look alright.

Is there anyone else out there who can reassure me than the lycra jersey should be absolutely skin tight??? Or should I just buy a looser fitting one for now on the cheap, until i've lost a few pounds?

I'd supply a photo if that really helps, but not if it's purely to take the mickey!

cheers
Jason

@ManxJason first off:welcome: and you look fine, I will be doing the W.N.B.R. in York in a fortnight and I can assure you there will be people larger than you doing it, so putting on a bit of Lyrca should be a none issue really, I see many cyclists of the larger size wearing Lycra and they all look fine to me, but then I ride a Viking so what do I know :smile:

redcard

Veteran
Even Brad has a bit of a belly sometimes. Granted, yours might be 3-4 times the size, but that just means you'll lose yours quicker than he can lose his.

120722033654-wiggo-story-top.jpg

Jebb

Regular
A pic would help, it might look ok but if not a loose fitting bike top will work just as good,no point wearing something you look daft in.

yello

Don't wear the shirt if it makes you feel uncomfortable. No rules that say you have to. Just wear a t-shirt/sports shirt whatever.

Tbh, it does sound as though it could be too small/tight anyway. Personally, I don't wear skin tight shirts not out of self consciousness but simply because I prefer a looser fit

MikeG

Guru
Keep the shirt, but in the cupboard. Get your diet sorted out, and get your mileage up on the bike, and the shirt will be a physical measure of your weight-loss achievements. You can easily lose 2 stone in 2 months, and then keep it off, and then you won't be self-conscious in lycra.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Wear what you like. Having reasonably form fitting stuff works better than not at speed, but I ride in baggies and a t-shirt if I feel like it (or I have something else to do during the ride).

The curse of hobbies and pastimes is that someone is always willing to say, however much you're harmlessly enjoying yourself, that you're doing it all wrong. Sod 'em.

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
i'm the same lean almost everywhere else except the old belly, but tbh i dont give a f**k and neither should you, be content that your out there doing something, i've never had anyone say anything to me cyclist/non cyclist

Leaway2

Lycrist
Never mind a picture of you, we want a picture of the bike :bicycle:.

As for the Lycra, if your not comfortable with the look, don't wear it.

Andy (fat knacker in Lyrca).

Top Bottom