New cyclist, concerned about lycra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good point screenman, where I would dare say something like this to my SO, family and friends, I wouldn't risk a bar fight with a total stranger :thumbsup:

Having been a runner for the past couple of years I've acquired lots of high viz and technical fabric shirts and shorts and so far they have served me well, admittedly I look like a weekend rider (and technically still am) but they will keep me going until I'm ready to commit to some serious mileage. :smile:

When I started riding 60 years ago we only had woolen garments and they often had pockets at the front as well as the rear so it was hard to separate the guys from the dolls. Wearing lycra is cool and don't worry about what others think just do it for you. However, take a tip from one who knows, do not wear red shorts as one can usually tell what your religion is just by looking.

PaddyMcc

Über Member
I can't bring myself to do it, but someone needs to post *that* photo:ohmy:

What, this one? ^_^
image.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Having endlessly teased a mate about the bald patch that the back of his shorts developed, I was mortified to discover that my shorts had developed a worse bald patch at the front! :eek::stop:

Make sure that worn-out shorts are relegated to 'under unpadded winter tights' duties.

Steppylud

Über Member
I don't own a jersey but wear Lycra shorts and at the moment go out in my gym tops.

I will be getting my free jersey for the London bikeathon shortly for raising money for leukaemia and lymphoma research. I am pretty sure I will will look dreadful as tipping the scales at 19st I do have somewhat of a belly. I don't care though and can deal with the comments, as when I look at it I will remember my dad and it will never compare to the pain that he and others went and are going through these horrible diseases.

Perspective, people only make comments to make themselves feel better about their own pathetic lives.

Biscuitfrisky

I love wearing the jerseys but not the tight pants without some combat shorts over the top, keeps my phone close by and I'd cards for bike parking on the commute into work

OP
OP
ManxJason

ManxJason

Regular
Thanks for all your posts guys. I went ahead and wore the lycra - skin tight but I wore it anyway, and you know what, I even sat in a cafe with it on. Got a snigger from a guy across the road, but you know what, who cares! Besides, no one recognises you as you fly past with helmet and shades on!

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
I'm not skinny at all, and i've just started cycling with a group of mates that are all "units". Riding with big lads creates better slip in a pelaton. In all seriousness I started my love affair with Lycra from been a youth doing athletics, it's functional more than anything. I do enjoy looking the part, i think having the gear maybe gives you a little more respect from motorists because they think your experienced, which in my case is a absolute lie.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I'm not skinny at all, and i've just started cycling with a group of mates that are all "units". Riding with big lads creates better slip in a pelaton. In all seriousness I started my love affair with Lycra from been a youth doing athletics, it's functional more than anything. I do enjoy looking the part, i think having the gear maybe gives you a little more respect from motorists because they think your experienced, which in my case is a absolute lie.

it's actually the opposite.

Lycra gear and a helmet gets you passed closer firstly because you look more experienced and secondly because some drivers will target people who they perceive to be using their roads for leisure (even though they are probably driving to a cafe or pub or something)

Top Bottom