New cyclist, concerned about lycra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kins

Über Member
1st 2 times i went out i wore track bottoms, thought they would be good enough for riding since they were nice & light, big mistake.

by the time i got off the bike they were really uncomfortable, far to warm to wear & rubbed my legs.

since then ive wore loose fitting knee length shorts, in 5'9" & just over 17st ive never liked the way i looked & only ever wore shorts for running about the house as i have a few massive big scares on my left knee from where it was put back together a few years back & don't like them to be seen by anybody but everytime i go out now in coming round more & more to the lycra idea as it just looks like it would be alot more comfortable & since ive raised my seat again even the shorts are rubbing on my upper leg and have at times squished the bits no fella wants to have squished (that being said i know there's fellas out there that pay goo money for that kind off treatment but each to there own)

i think im past the, im not wearing that. More at the, that looks comfortable i want some of that stage.

You can always wear Lycra shorts and then shorts over the top. I prefer Bib shorts myself for my road bike but I have shorts i wear on my mountain bike and baggies over the top.

up hill struggle

of coarse if anybody outside of the biking circle hears that i fancy abit of lycra i will certainly denie it

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Don't worry about it. When on the bike nobody will notice. When off it, nobody looks good in lycra - well, men anyway. (Sorry Sir Brad, not even you). People who don't cycle will always take the p*** whatever size you are. Anyone who has ever tried walking into a pub in even the best fitting lycra kit will testify to that. Just shrug it off and get on with it. Just don't go in your local wearing it!

I have always found a proper cycle road shirt to be one of the most useful bits of kit for carrying your keys, mobile, camera, maps, wallet, drinks etc in the rear pockets where you can easily reach them.Every time I go out for a ride wearing anything else, I regret it immediately.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Alternatively, go to the cake stop and look at the cyclists, then ask yourself "do they give a **** about how they look?"

Answer will be pretty close to the same as above.
Alter-alternatively, go to a cake stop and ask yourself, "Why am I looking at all these people? THERE'S CAKE HERE."

bpsmith

Veteran
Look at the clothing people wear for other sports. Do they think twice about it? Do they wear other sports clothing for fear of being seen?

Check out some of your local amateur golfers, swimmers, surfers even. Nobody cares, so why should we?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Don't worry ab. out it. When on the bike nobody will notice. When off it, nobody looks good in lycra - well, men anyway. (Sorry Sir Brad, not even you). People who don't cycle will always take the p*** whatever size you are. Anyone who has ever tried walking into a pub in even the best fitting lycra kit will testify to that. Just shrug it off and get on with it. Just don't go in your local wearing it!
I disagree. IMO the worst look is baggy cargo shorts, trainers and football top, esp on the 'larger' figure.

D

Deleted member 18052

I read this as I was concerned about wearing my slightly tight cycling top (not as tight as it was 2 months ago :smile: ) and thought f**k it, its awesome, somewhere to put phone and all the little bits that would be in my baggies pockets - i'm converted.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I disagree. IMO the worst look is baggy cargo shorts, trainers and football top, esp on the 'larger' figure.
Oh cr@p, that's my whole wardrobe rubbished now. I'm no Gok Wan, but I did think my baggy shorts looked rather good on me.

robotron

After a year of road bike riding and wearing baggy MTB shorts over padded undershorts, I've finally got some bib shorts that will be getting their world premier this week.
I hope that the local dogs don't mistake my legs for bones and chase me down the street but it's time to embrace my lycra side.. Sharp tan lines here we come!

Main thing I'm really hoping for is that they'll give me a boost in my average MPH as I try to ride faster so no-one sees me..

bpsmith

Veteran
Sharp tan lines without a doubt! Did a charity ride on Sunday and I now have some mighty Keith Lemon's!

Never had it on thighs before, which is interesting, but my favourite is the arms where tan starts at wrist and stops at mid bicep. Having paler hands than arms is amazing!

Enis Baysal

Hello all, first post here as a complete newbie to the cycling world.

After having my arms twisted by a few people at work, I'm collecting my first ever road bike on Sunday. It's a Trek 1.2, shimano groupset, new wheels etc.

My colleague has given me some Lycra to try. It includes a rather expensive bib-shorts and jersey. I'm quite comfortable with the shorts as I have a decent bum and solid legs. The jersey however, I feel a little self-conscious about. I've got a bit of a belly on me you see. 5ft 11 and weighing 15.5st.

The jersey is a bit of a hugger, and when i say a bit, i mean skin tight. I mean it fits, but it moulds itself to every bit of myself.

My missus had a laugh at first but reassures me I look alright.

Is there anyone else out there who can reassure me than the lycra jersey should be absolutely skin tight??? Or should I just buy a looser fitting one for now on the cheap, until i've lost a few pounds?

I'd supply a photo if that really helps, but not if it's purely to take the mickey!

cheers
Jason
Mate all I can say is ultimately, if you do not feel comfortable in it, then do not wear it. If you are self concious then good,use it to your advantage and set targets for yourself? It will only benefit you my friend. After you go to a few gatherings with a few cyclists about the friendly community im sure will convince you that no one judges you. They all enjoy biking and that is the common interest. No one will judge you sir believe me.

Top Bottom