New cyclist, concerned about lycra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bryony

Veteran
Embrace the Lycra. It is your friend.
Lycra is definitely my friend (even though it doesn't look like it when I'm wearing it!) when ever I've gone out on the bike in anything other than Lycra I get chaffing! So I don't care if I look like the Michelin Man (well woman!) I wear it!! ^_^

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I bought my first pair of Lycra shorts when I was in my mid 20's but was too vain to wear them every time I went out. Now I'm more rotund and late 50's I don't care. When you get to a certain age people notice you less.

LSAF2011

Hey might be the hippy in me but wearing lycra is like being one with nature, lol
Seriously though, for some odd reason, science and stuff, it works you'll get hot and sweaty, and then dry remarkably quick.
I'd say just wear it, you'll like it and it'll become part of you

MattMM

I was fortunate enough to start in December, so could hide under a couple of layers until I lost some weight. Now can get away with a close-fitting Lycra top and doesn't look too bad. I prefer the tight fitting cycling top for avoidance of flapping about in wind, plus the back pockets are essential for phone, food and waterproof shell jacket.

bpsmith

Veteran
I am new to cycling in the past year and could not bring myself to wear lycra. I wasn't particularly big to start with, but not the most confident, so tried wearing a pair of normal shorts and a football shirt. Worked ok for a few miles, then soon noticed the need for some padding! On that basis, I looked for MTB shorts or padded boxers, but nothing really suited, so grabbed a pair of bib shorts. Then I thought if I am wearing the shorts then might as well grab a jersey too. So pleased that I did now and it doesn't bother me in the slightest anymore tbh. Have since lost close to a stone and bought the next size down as prefer the fitted feel than a baggy shirt flapping around. The funny thing is, I look like I have the same sized belly as before, with the smaller sized jersey showing it off the same compared to a larger size with larger belly. The point being made, is that we all have a belly in tightly fitting gear, but the reality is that nobody gives a damn when you're out enjoying yourself!

Go with what you feel happy with, but why not go for a couple of test runs wearing what you have been given first. What have you got to lose?

Once you're 200yds from your front door, nobody knows you and tbh, people don't have time to really take in what you're wearing as you pass by (even at my snail pace). If I'm comfortable inflicting my lycra clad self on the world, you have nothing to worry about, trust me.
This depends on a few factors :smile:, like how many people you know and where you live, but people don't care what you wear, and if they do its their problem not yours.

bpsmith

Veteran
Ride to a really busy cake stop in your Lycra, then ask all the cyclists this question-

Do you give a **** about how I look?

The response will be 100% "no"

*unless you're wearing full Sky team kit......:laugh:

I have shied away from current team cycle wear, but my wife bought me the Light Blue Sky team kit for Fathers Day, and tbh I don't even care about that these days. I am chuffed with the sentiment and would never complain about a gift, full stop. If somebody wants to judge over that, then the same logic applies IMHO.

This post completely contradicts itself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom