New Di2 upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
New replacement parts arrived today so I got stuck in to the upgrade to R8050 Di2 Ultegra from 6800 Ultegra.
First off with the old derailleurs but I left the inner cables in the frame in case I needed fish wires.
Cranks off and BB removed to get access to the frame. The BB area will house the tiny B junction box.
Handlebar tape off, brake cables out except the inner to the rear as it would be a fish wire for its replacement.
New shifters fitted but left brake cables till last.
Rear derailleur mounted, as normal. Couldn't mount the front derailleur as I'm waiting on a band on braze on mount, which is due tomorrow.
I removed the Di2 bungs that were fitted in the frame and started to thread the wires through the frame. Concealed are the rear derailleur wire, front derailleur wire, battery wire from the seat post and the wire from the front junction box A/ controller to the BB at J Box B. Expecting difficulty and hours of faff, I had the wires in the frame in about 10 minutes. Happy days.
Connecting it up is another 2 minute job. J Box B was safely tucked into the down tube after being wrapped in a bit of pipe insulation against rattles.
BB and cranks reinstalled as normal.
Rear derailleur connected, shifters connected, front derailleur connected and hung temporarily with a cable tie.
Next on to handlebars where I taped the shifter wires into position pending the final new bar tape wrap.
Brakes were next. Front new inner and outer were supplied so installed. I used a tiny piece of heat shrink to connect old to new and successfully fished the new rear cable to the rear brake, and managed not to forget the routing anywhere 🙂. These were connected and trimmed.
All that remained at this point was to fully mount J Box A properly on the little supplied bracket, refit the saddle post and rewrap the bars.
Having already charged the battery it was easy to test movement in the derailleurs, as it really is just plug and play. All tested and basic mechanical setup done with limit screws. Chain refitted and then a tidy up.
Until I get the front mount tomorrow I can't fully finish but I'll get a few pictures done then of the finished article.

Looking forward to a spin tomorrow. 😊

DSK

I love how so many of you who have the skills make all this sound like an afternoons work, fair play to you! Enjoy the spin.

OP
OP
BianchiVirgin

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Just as soon as I get finished. FD mounted but in the middle of painting the bathroom so I'll get finished when I've a first coat on. :laugh::laugh: Then I'll have 4 hours.

OP
OP
BianchiVirgin

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Bare naked bars with new shifters. Less bulky than conventional shifters as they've no gear changing guts in them.

Junction box B at BB. It's tiny and a lot smaller than this photo suggests. About 1/4 matchbox.

Getting under front of bars ready. J Box A in place with wireless unit clipped in place. It is the BT link but the system will work without.

Cable entry and grommet to downtube. Got Shimano grommets to replace the blanks fitted by Bianchi. Note the empty gear cable hole below.

Handlebars finished for now. Might change to use the little mount that John B used on his bike. This would replace a 5mm spacer.

Close up of downtube cable entry. Grommets are neat. Brake cable above.

Front derailleur mounted and cable connected.

Rear change stay cable exit. Same grommet.

Rear gear change cable mount point. I used this to partly conceal and support the rear derailleur cable. I used a blob of black mastic to support it here rather than a cable tie.

Until I get proper blanks I put a tiny spot of mastic in the otherwise redundant cable entry points.

Reactions: DSK
OP
OP
BianchiVirgin

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Red cable tie waiting on a black replacement! I used a tiny blob of black mastic again to support rear derailleur cable as I didn't like it being unsupported so far, as it is quite delicate. Also easy enough to remove if required. Red tie is doing my OCD in so will be gone in a day or 2 when I find my tiny black ones!

Also waiting on replacement skewers. Can't wait to get rid of those plastic abominations.

Finished rewrapped bars with new shifters. I will replace the bar tape ASAP as I don't like the way it is finished and it was a touch short, making finishing it more difficult. It will give me a chance to assess any mods I might make in a few weeks. That aside, happy enough in principle.

Finished bike. Yellow spot is to conceal my name on the frame!

Meanwhile, mines in the shop as we speak waiting to be installed....:laugh:

OP
OP
BianchiVirgin

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
It's not only about cage length. The range of movement in the 8050 cage and derailleur is far greater too vs 6800. It was hanging slack in low lowish and now its fine.

Top Bottom