New drill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
I have Worx, hammer and SDS both are 20v, I know they are Chinese made, but are very powerful for there size I also have their jig saw, sander and angle grinder.

Isn't Worx the Argos own-brand?

Jameshow

Veteran
You likely see good deals on DeWalt 18v stuff as they are doing away with those batteries and going 20v
So once the 18v battery is worn out ( many years ) you will only get copies off internet

I think that's a labeling thing DeWalt has always been 20v in USA. Just bringing us into line?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I have a cordless DeWalt drill similar to the one above. It's convenient and good at most jobs but in hammer mode it isn't great on masonry. For that I use my 35+ year old corded Black and Decker
Agreed. Cordless 'hammer' drills tend not to have enough umph for anything denser than a breeze block, so it's always worth keeping a corded hammer drill.

My main drill is a 2 speed hammer drill that I bought my Dad some time in the 1980s - then inherited when he died

Great for the 1980's standard bricks and breeze blocks in my house

For general little things I also have a cheap cordless screwdriver that can take drill bits and works perfectly well for basic holes in plasterboard and wood - wouldn;t use it for serious stuff or or if I needed lots of hole - but works fine for simple things that don;t need much power!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Agreed. Cordless 'hammer' drills tend not to have enough umph for anything denser than a breeze block, so it's always worth keeping a corded hammer drill.

That was always my view, but I'm surprised how good by recent screwfix/ titan cordless hammer one is, compared to its predecessor. It will drill into concrete lintels etc.

newts

Veteran
You likely see good deals on DeWalt 18v stuff as they are doing away with those batteries and going 20v
So once the 18v battery is worn out ( many years ) you will only get copies off internet

Why do you think they are swapping to 20v? The same batteries are sold in the UK as 18v & 20v in the US.

newts

Veteran
An advantage with the pro tools like Dewalt/Makita, you get a whole host of other tools sold 'bare' that you can use you existing batteries with. This now includes many gardening tools, ideal for the home user.
I've been a Dewalt user since they changed there branding away from Elu back in the 90's, they've always been reliable. Late 90's/early 2000's they were all used heavily & only managed to burn out 1 mains drill after a few years of abusing it by drill 5" holes through exterior walls for vents.
I currently mhave the cordless blower, ideal for small areas in the garden & blowing the water from the crevices in the bike after a wash.
https://www.dewalt.co.uk/product/dcv100-xj/18v-xr-blower?tid=573021

Mike_P

Guru
Aldi have a drill on sale on Sunday with the battery and charger sold separately. The local Lidl was full of tools with interchangeable batteries. Not sure if there was a drill amongst them.

Top Bottom