New drill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stalagmike

Enormous member
Could do with a new drill but can’t decide weather to buy cheap from Aldi / Lidl (and have to get another one in a couple of years) or invest in the likes of a Milwaukee or deWalt type combi drill that could outlive me. Any recommendations on a mid-range option? Combi drill most likely. I don’t have any other battery systems at the moment except for a qualcast strimmer (wondering if that might be the same as Bosch?) TIA

Adam4868

Guru
Depends what you want it for or should I say how much are you going to use it ? Is it a everyday for work drill or more for DIY.
This is decent enough or is it a bit too much price wise.
From Tool Station
Screenshot_20231001-192032.png

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I have had a DeWalt similar to the above for over ten years now. It's great for most stuff, although for masonry work I use my 45 year old Bosch for the extra oomph.
I also have Aldi (Ferrex) tools, a drill driver, impact driver and angle grinder which all use the same battery system. They all do enough for my needs and I buy them when they are the last one or two in store, so discounted. I got each of them for £9.99. I would happily buy Ferrex again, in fact I was eyeing up a palm sander the other day. As others have said, it depends on your use, for keen DIYers the Aldi stuff is great.

Jameshow

Veteran
I have Stanley and DeWalt both good same battery format tbh.

Beware there are DIY and pro version in many brands. Green blue Bosch etc.

I also have a little bauker 12v drill which is excellent for lighter jobs.

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
It’s just for DIY stuff, I am in no way a professional! I do have to occasional job that requires a bit of oomph and have access to a corded drill for that (borrow off my father in law). Like the look of the deWalt for that money. Cheers.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The main question is whether you want it for drilling in walls or for woodwork/metalwork/screwdring.

For the former you want an SDS drill. Battery versions from Bosch or Hilti are quite expensive so likely a mains one is the beet bet. I am a bit of tool snob, and despite just domestic use I'd get a trade or pro model - Bosch blue, Makita, Hitatchi being good makes

For woodwork / screwdriving I'd probably get a battery one these day, though mine's a mains Bosch green, DIY grade.

For anything I would buy a proper make, rather
than the cheap ones, even if not getting a "pro" grade tool, never mind Festool

Jameshow

Veteran
It’s just for DIY stuff, I am in no way a professional! I do have to occasional job that requires a bit of oomph and have access to a corded drill for that (borrow off my father in law). Like the look of the deWalt for that money. Cheers.

We have the basic DeWalt and the have been good for 5years hard use at our men's shed. The brushless one ^^^^ will be even better!

Alex321

Veteran
The main question is whether you want it for drilling in walls or for woodwork/metalwork/screwdring.

For the former you want an SDS drill. Battery versions from Bosch or Hilti are quite expensive so likely a mains one is the beet bet. I am a bit of tool snob, and despite just domestic use I'd get a trade or pro model - Bosch blue, Makita, Hitatchi being good makes

For woodwork / screwdriving I'd probably get a battery one these day, though mine's a mains Bosch green, DIY grade.

For anything I would buy a proper make, rather
than the cheap ones, even if not getting a "pro" grade tool, never mind Festool

An SDS drill is overkill for most DIY use, even if you are drilling into walls. You only really need the extra oomph of the SDS for actual masonry walls, or hard bricks. Most modern houses, with breezeblock walls, the hammer function on a regular drill is plenty, and for plasterboard walls, you hardly even need that.

I boughht one about 20 years ago from Aldi, still going strong, but I hardly ever use it now. Even in the old house, which had masonry walls, I used the chisel function more often than the drill.

I do have a decent quality general drill though - AEG, which is actually a rebranded Milwaukee.

I've never owned a battery powered drill though.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
An SDS drill is overkill for most DIY use, even if you are drilling into walls. You only really need the extra oomph of the SDS for actual masonry walls, or hard bricks. Most modern houses, with breezeblock walls, the hammer function on a regular drill is plenty, and for plasterboard walls, you hardly even need that.

I boughht one about 20 years ago from Aldi, still going strong, but I hardly ever use it now. Even in the old house, which had masonry walls, I used the chisel function more often than the drill.

I do have a decent quality general drill though - AEG, which is actually a rebranded Milwaukee.

I've never owned a battery powered drill though.

Agree you don't need SDS unless you are drilling brick or stone, but assuming you don't live in a modern house made of sticks and cardboard they are hugely better if doing anything more than hanging pictures

F6B92E9F-B8D9-43EB-A771-DD5AFC83D3C4.jpeg

1A9AC1AB-4D01-47F6-8CAC-818F16770E47.jpeg

5BD2764D-48BF-4246-ACDB-B0F99F3F8907.jpeg

1E80994A-FE86-4CE7-9F60-7CDAFB577606.jpeg

Lookrider

Depends what you want it for or should I say how much are you going to use it ? Is it a everyday for work drill or more for DIY.
This is decent enough or is it a bit too much price wise.
From Tool Station
View attachment 708331

You likely see good deals on DeWalt 18v stuff as they are doing away with those batteries and going 20v
So once the 18v battery is worn out ( many years ) you will only get copies off internet

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use a small Bosch for most stuff, and a corded drill for bigger jobs. The Bosch is great for most stuff (it's only one of the 10.8v ones) and I have two batteries, but for driving anything big in, or really intensive jobs, corded drills for me. For do-it all, then something above if you want power and cordless.

Top Bottom