New drill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
An advantage with the pro tools like Dewalt/Makita, you get a whole host of other tools sold 'bare' that you can use you existing batteries with. This now includes many gardening tools, ideal for the home user.
I've been a Dewalt user since they changed there branding away from Elu back in the 90's, they've always been reliable. Late 90's/early 2000's they were all used heavily & only managed to burn out 1 mains drill after a few years of abusing it by drill 5" holes through exterior walls for vents.
I currently mhave the cordless blower, ideal for small areas in the garden & blowing the water from the crevices in the bike after a wash.
https://www.dewalt.co.uk/product/dcv100-xj/18v-xr-blower?tid=573021
Totally off topic sorry... but always find it puzzling when you see gardeners with leaf blowers clearing driveways/gardens by blowing leafs and other rubbish out onto the street or roads.

richardfm

Veteran
Totally off topic sorry... but always find it puzzling when you see gardeners with leaf blowers clearing driveways/gardens by blowing leafs and other rubbish out onto the street or roads.

Yes, I assume it will all blow back again before long

newts

Veteran
https://www.mynewsdesk.com/us/dewal...ade-to-the-dewalt-20v-max-star-system-3125951

Lots in building talk regarding this
I have DeWalt stuff and the 18v battery tools will soon be no good
I will have to buy "adaptors" that go into the tool to allow the new 20v battery to power the 18v

That's the old shape NiCad battery from years ago, they started phasing out the tools for this shape battery back in 2012. They've shown good commitment in supporting these batteries for so along after they ceased tool production for that range.
As previously stated the newer 18v (uk)/20v (us) lithium ion batteries will be around for the foreseeable future.

EckyH

In my opinion there are two things to consider: is the drill the beginning of a battery powered system and how often it will be used.
If it is seldomly used then I'd go for a corded drill - if there are no other reasons for a cordless drill like the build of a treehouse far away from the next power point.
If there is no need for precision, then a "cheap" drill could be sufficient.
But as a tool nut I tend to buy from a "real" tool brand - just to be sure that the tool isn't the culprit if the result is below the expectations...

E.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
An advantage with the pro tools like Dewalt/Makita, you get a whole host of other tools sold 'bare' that you can use you existing batteries with. This now includes many gardening tools, ideal for the home user.
I've been a Dewalt user since they changed there branding away from Elu back in the 90's, they've always been reliable. Late 90's/early 2000's they were all used heavily & only managed to burn out 1 mains drill after a few years of abusing it by drill 5" holes through exterior walls for vents.
I currently mhave the cordless blower, ideal for small areas in the garden & blowing the water from the crevices in the bike after a wash.
https://www.dewalt.co.uk/product/dcv100-xj/18v-xr-blower?tid=573021

Anyone who endorse the use of cordless blowers is spouting hot air....

stephec

Legendary Member
I've got the next one up from that Dewalt that I've had for work for about five years now, it came from Screwfix with four batteries.

I use it mainly on metal work and it puts a 20m hole saw through 6mm thick 316 SS without any problems, quite capable of putting a 10mm hole in a 1930's built house brick as well, although I've got a corded drill which I'd use first if possible, no need really but I'm just a bit old fashioned. :laugh:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Many years ago when I worked in a repair workshop we had a " Shop Drill ", a mains powere Black and Decker. It had been beaten and abused for many years and looked battered and tatty. It was a " Hammer Drill " in that we would bash the back of the drill with a Thor plastic faced mallet when required. We asked for a new Drill and were told that the old one is still working, keep using that. We decided to finish it off for good so we clamped the chuck in an Engineering vice, cable tied the switch to the on position then switched it on from the mains socket until there was smoke pouring from it. We got a swish new drill, and the old Black and Decker was chucked on a bench in the corner. Several months later one of the lads absent mindedly picked it up, plugged it in and lo and behold the bloody thing was still working.😮

Jameshow

Veteran
Many years ago when I worked in a repair workshop we had a " Shop Drill ", a mains powere Black and Decker. It had been beaten and abused for many years and looked battered and tatty. It was a " Hammer Drill " in that we would bash the back of the drill with a Thor plastic faced mallet when required. We asked for a new Drill and were told that the old one is still working, keep using that. We decided to finish it off for good so we clamped the chuck in an Engineering vice, cable tied the switch to the on position then switched it on from the mains socket until there was smoke pouring from it. We got a swish new drill, and the old Black and Decker was chucked on a bench in the corner. Several months later one of the lads absent mindedly picked it up, plugged it in and lo and behold the bloody thing was still working.😮

The classic orange one?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

I've still got the old B&D hammer drill - had it 28 years (since we got married). Still works, but I have a small cordless, a big mains SDS and a mid sized mains drill that's got heaps of torque (although not the same as the SDS which is wrist snapping).

Mike_P

Guru
Different size altogether but my Black & Decker mindrill is decades old and still works. It's switch ceased working so I had to short that out and switch it on and off by plugging/unplugging it from the 12v supply. Actually has proper chuck rather than the annoying interchangable inserts provided with minidrills today.

Top Bottom