New Eastons - Can't Fit Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Was putting my new wheels on the roadbike last night but I couldn't get my gatorskins on the rim. Don't want to force it and certainly I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere with a puncture/ripped tyre and the tyre won't come off or get back on.

Any tips or advice? Is it new tyres time or will a VAR tyre lever or similar solve the problem? Went into Evans this morning and they didn't have a clue........

Cheers

Chris

jimboalee

Don't tell us, the tyres have been stored in a cold garage?

Put the tyres in a warm oven.

If that doesn't work, put the wheels in the freezer ( cold garage ) overnight.

Did you really expect the oiks at Evans to know?

I take it you have not put too much rim tape on the wheel.

Otherwise tight tyres are a fact of life with some makes of rim - you have to go at it like a dentist pulling a tooth,no faffing about get stuck in and get the tyre on/off. Don't use metal levers as they will scratch the braking surface.

jimboalee said:
Don't tell us, the tyres have been stored in a cold garage?

Put the tyres in a warm oven.

If that doesn't work, put the wheels in the freezer overnight.

That's not a lot of good if he's stuck in the middle of no-where with a puncture!:sad:

jimboalee

accountantpete said:
That's not a lot of good if he's stuck in the middle of no-where with a puncture!:sad:

Surprisingly, when a tyre has been on a rim and inflated for several hours, it stretches.
Expansion is also encouraged by the warmth of continual deformation as the tyre gets squeezed on the tarmac.

Getting a tyre back on a rim after changing a tube on the roadside is ALWAYS easier than a 'first time installation'.

Warm rim & cold tyre = NO GO.

Cold rim & warm tyre = Api Sapis.

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
accountantpete said:
I take it you have not put too much rim tape on the wheel.

Otherwise tight tyres are a fact of life with some makes of rim - you have to go at it like a dentist pulling a tooth,no faffing about get stuck in and get the tyre on/off. Don't use metal levers as they will scratch the braking surface.

No, not too much rim tape. Everything has been stored in the garage recently, so I'm going to put the tyres in a nice warm airing cupboard for starters. Don't really want to change the tyres if I can help it as I have only used them once.

jimboalee

MadoneRider1991 said:
wd40 on the rim will help you slip the tyre onto the rim

It will also act as a lubricating film between the rubber and the metal. Put the power down up a steep hill and.... gradual slow slip, tear and another Presta valve ripped off the tube.

e-rider

crappy member
Get a VAR tool for about £7 - it's that simple. There are a number of solutions for at home, but on the road side you need either thumbs of steel or a VAR tool. Just buy one and job done.

gbb

Legendary Member
Some tyre / wheel combos don't work very well..
Gators on my R500 wheels are a nightmare to get on, winter or summer, but on a budget set i had on an older bike, no problem whatsoever.
Similarly, ive a pair of Vredstein TroComps that positively fall off the R500s when they're deflated.

Top Bottom