New eBike or convert old bike, latter how to select?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
That's informative, thanks. I definitely wont need the front derailleur if i fit this kit. For my uses and where i go, the power of a crank drive motor plus 8 gears would be enough for me.
Can be added later if you find the need arises, I found the cranks were maxing out too soon; remember legally the motor can only assist up to 15.5mph and anything beyond that is unassisted. There are still plenty of choices to make:
- Battery 36v or 48v. The latter seems generally to be recommended but my 36v one suits me okay and a 36v TSDZ2 is cheaper.
- Throttle and ebrake levers? The latter are not needed unless you are going to carry on pedalling whilst braking and a throttle will I understand make it illegal so a bit of money can be saved by buying a TSDZ2 without them.
- Stock or open source firmware. The open source firmware has apparently a number of advantages including showing up faults and better battery management. A USA seller sells the motor with the open source firmware and a better display
https://www.eco-ebike.com/collectio...ttle-and-e-brakes-36v-48v-52v-10-18a-250-750w
- Ebike lights or not. If you do opt for ebike lights running off the battery the normally supplied display VLCD5 display uses its power button as a light switch as well:banghead:

Smudge

Veteran
Can be added later if you find the need arises, I found the cranks were maxing out too soon; remember legally the motor can only assist up to 15.5mph and anything beyond that is unassisted. There are still plenty of choices to make:
- Battery 36v or 48v. The latter seems generally to be recommended but my 36v one suits me okay and a 36v TSDZ2 is cheaper.
- Throttle and ebrake levers? The latter are not needed unless you are going to carry on pedalling whilst braking and a throttle will I understand make it illegal so a bit of money can be saved by buying a TSDZ2 without them.
- Stock or open source firmware. The open source firmware has apparently a number of advantages including showing up faults and better battery management. A USA seller sells the motor with the open source firmware and a better display
https://www.eco-ebike.com/collectio...ttle-and-e-brakes-36v-48v-52v-10-18a-250-750w
- Ebike lights or not. If you do opt for ebike lights running off the battery the normally supplied display VLCD5 display uses its power button as a light switch as well:banghead:

I dont need to go any faster than 15.5mph and unassisted i couldn't sustain a higher speed than that anyway.
I fitted a throttle with the last ekit i fitted to a previous bike, but i never used the throttle after i fitted the pedal sensor, much preferring the simplicity and natural feeling of a pedelec sensor.
Interesting about the firmware and lights, i may look into that more.
Thanks for the info.

CXRAndy

Guru
@Smudge

If you go over to endless sphere forum -non hub drive section. The developer of the open firmware 'casshino' posts information. Also there is a wiki site listing lots of information about how to do setups, programming etc.

The latest developments are better displays with more memory for added features- Bluetooth programming. Improved motor control and safety functions

Mike_P

Guru
Just to update on my TSDZ2 the replacement torque sensor was of a different design with the cabled part having a large plastic section protecting the cable and seemingly only using two springs not three. Whilst that fitted okay the main part with the spindle which appeared the same would not slide home unlike every YouTube video on the matter I have seen. A last resort was to hit it with a hammer and it fitted but obviously it did not do it any good as on complete reassembly there was a grinding noise back pedelling and the motor remained dead. So I have abandoned the motor and will place known good parts on eBay. At present the unused SW102 display that needs the appropriate cable making up or purchased http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...29508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&toolid=11111
and the speed sensor which unlike the majority that are available has a Y connector for lights.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...29508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&toolid=11111

Top Bottom